Topic

Lightest energy bar high in calories and fiber?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest energy bar high in calories and fiber?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Anyone know which lightweight energy bar (or any food bar) has the most calories and fiber?

I guess my ideal bar would be 2 ounces, 300 calories, and 15% of my daily fiber. It doesn't have to taste good.
    This is for breakfast and for snacking throughout the day.

Thanks!

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

I like cliff bars 2.3 ounces 250-270 calories 20% daily fiber and fwiw IMHO they are yummy

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Soylent Green wafers.

–B.G.–

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

For comparison…

Snickers 2 oz 271 cals 1.3 g fiber/5% DV
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Thanks so much for the quick responses. Anyone know which bar has all the above with the most carbs?

Or does anyone know an UL way to get a lot of ready to eat carbs? (not pasta or anything I have to cook)

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

If you're aiming for UL calories, you really want as much fat as possible. Fat has 2.25x more calories per gram than a carbohydrate.

One gram of carbohydrate weighs exactly one gram, and that has 4 calories. So the lightest way to get that is to go with a pure carbohydrate. That means no fats, proteins, fiber, fillers, preservatives, vitamins or coloring. That pretty much leaves you with sugar.

Geoffrey Lehmann
    BPL Member

@yipper

Locale: deep south

Take a look at Victory Nutrition's comparison chart: http://www.victorynutrition.com/hpages/ebars/barcomp.html

You have to do the math to get the calories per ounce, though.

I like the Bear Valley bars, more like a baked good.

geoff

alan barber

@azbarber

Locale: SE

Olive oil is 250 calories per ounce. You can swig it straight from a small bottle… it's what the Roman soldiers did when they were on extended marches.

Az

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Soylent Green is PEEEEEEOOOOPPPPLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I'd take a look at Larabar.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Also try:
    Soylent red (more spicy than soylent green)
    Soylent -C with Calcium (bone meal)
    Soylent-Fiber one 2% (low fat with added fiber)Soylent

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I am on a Probar kick right now. A lot of calories and good taste although that is subjective. My favorite is the koka-moka which the link below will take you to. ~3.0 oz, 360 cals, 7g of fiber.

http://theprobar.com/products/original/koka-moka/

Ryan

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The higher the fiber the more you best be drinking though – especially in summer when being semi-dehydrated is normal. Otherwise your stomach will hate you. The heavier bars that contain a higher amount of fat (from nuts) will be better for you – that fat keeps the old plumbing moving.
    These bars were some of the best I have made or eaten – and no, they are not light. But you gets what you put into it. And these will leave you with a happy tummy and tons of energy. And hemp seeds have plenty o' fiber –
    http://gazingin.com/2011/05/26/cookbook-review-vegan-a-go-go-date-walnut-energy-bar-recipe/

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

"It doesn't have to taste good."

Well, if that is true I'd suggest cardboard dipped in melted tallow.

lol……

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Your goal of 300 Cal in 2 oz is not possible. Fat has an energy density of 9 calories per gram or 256 calories per ounce. That is the best you can do.

Edit: Never mind I forgot to multiply by 2 the max calories would be 512 or so. To get to 300 calories per bar you would need to have 5.26 calories per gram which is not too bad at all. A mixture of nuts and granola probably get you there without even going the bar route.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

http://www.mealpack.com/

Most calorie dense and nutritious bar I've found. Not as easy to put down as a ClifBar but they have WAY less sugar in them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I guess my ideal bar would be 2 ounces, 300 calories, and 15% of my daily fiber. It doesn't have to taste good."

I'd take a serious look at dark chocolate bars with, or without, nuts. I've seen a number of them in the 150 calories/ounce range that also contain 3-5 grams of fiber. Scharfenburger, Godiva, Lindt, Seeds of Change(my favorite) are some brands to check out, but there are many others.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Bear Valley are the best I've seen. Relatively cheap too. You could always buy some of those SOLAS lifeboat bars. The brick has 3600 calories, not sure what each individual piece has.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"A mixture of nuts and granola probably get you there without even going the bar route."

True, but they take up a lot more space.

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

The closest bar I've found to meeting your specs is Larabar's Chocolate Coconut Chew – 1.8oz, 240 cals, 5g fiber (20% DV)…

http://www.larabar.com/products/chocolate-coconut-chew#nutritional

All the Larabar flavors I've tried to date have tasted great, they are dense, moist and relatively balanced nutritionally. Probars are great, too (and have been my bar of choice for a while now), although they are not quite as energy dense averaging about 123 Cal/oz vs. 133 for the Choco-Coco Larabar.

Larabars are also pretty compact.

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

Ginger Snap, Lemon Bar, Cherry Pie, Banana Bread: wars have been started over food this good…I'm certain there will be a time I'm willing to give a finger for one of these bars.

Bear Valley's Pemmican-Carob Bar is incredible; it's the best brownie you've ever had, on steroids.

I never knew olive oil was so calorie-dense! I'm gonna be that guy that sips olive oil from a flask now. OK, maybe a Platypus…

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Nick Sciabica & Sons of Modesto, CA has some of the best out there. Never knew how really good olive oil could taste!!

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Snickers is the most popular. They are common, inexpensive and contain a good balance of carbs and fat. They also have protein(peanuts) and calcium(dairy).

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I got tempted to take Snickers a few times but they offer no better cal/oz ratio than other bars and include that wonderful stuff we invented known as trans fat.

Yes, the label says zero trans fat, but that just means < 1. If you actually read he ingredient list you'll see it.

Anthony Rosen
    BPL Member

@xpress411

Locale: Washington, DC

The organic food bars at whole foods are around 300 cal and light, but like 3 bucks each.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools