Topic

Might can quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Might can quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I saw this at REI last week and it has me intrigued. I wonder if I have the sewing chops to make one. It will have to have synthetic insulation – as I am allergic to down. I like the integrated pad sleeve. I am thinking of a warmer weather quilt – 30 degrees.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/pitchpinesl45

What fabric would be advantageous? How much insulation will I need? I own a neo-air and would incorporate that as my base. I mainly sleep in tents, but may consider a tarp in the future.

pitchpine

Thanks for your help

Dave

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

5 ounce Apex is supposed to be good down to 30 F.

1.1 or 0.9 ounce nylon would be good. thruhiker.com, owfinc.com for example

thruhiker had 0.5 ounce for a while but I don't think anymore

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

down is hypoallergenic, you are allergic to dander found in cheap, unwashed down.

get some good down from any of the cottage retailers, where it is washed several times with a plant fiber called syriaca which is like a dander magnet.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

Thanks for your help.
    Maybe it is time to try down again. I remeber reacting to the down pillows as a kid and the michelin man coats as a teenager. (that was a long long time ago)

As I look into this project more, the above is more of a bag with a fabric bottom and not a quilt. I like the freedom of a quilt – esp. in temp regulation.

There are some fine posts and how to's on this site.

Dave

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i have insane reactions to cheap down pillows, asthma – puffy itchy eyes – for instance. but now i work with down and have no troubles. interestingly, hungarian down is less likely to hold dander and mites due to it's shape and is easier to clean.
    i suggest purchase one ounce of down and make a little backpacking pillow. see how it goes for you. i hope you can get by with using it and have no negative effects.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools