Topic

Need a short cut for baffles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need a short cut for baffles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    C King

@rimmini

Trying to make 3" high 3" wide 30"length baffles for my quilt. I got chiffon… Its much lighter than bug net. But I am having problems cutting the baffles. Any tricks of the trade that might help? thanks in advance.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I'm working on a quilt right now, too, and it has 3" high by 3" wide baffles using a very light material (a 0.3 oz/yd nonwoven nylon). I find this material impossible to cut using a blade and a cutting mat. I drew lines with a sharpie and cut it with very sharp scissors. It isn't chiffon, though. What methods have you tried so far with the chiffon?

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I've read here or elsewhere that you can wrap the baffle material over a piece of cardboard or masonite cut to your baffle size 3" and then cut the material so that they are uniform in size.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

One trick you can try is to put ordinary 'scotch tape' down over the fabric to define the cut lines, then cut it with scissors.

Cheers

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

In making my quilt I used this system:

1. Carefully fold the noseeum into 4 layers so that the length of baffle you want is now about 12" to 15" x 4 (48" to 60" baffles)

2. On a cutting mat align the cut edge carefully with one of the rulings on the mat.

3. Using a metal straight edge the required distance from the edge and cut with a rotary cutter.

Repeat step 3.

If the cut edge is uneven at first, cut just in from the edge to get a nice straight edge to work from. It took me no more than 10 minutes to cut all my baffles.

I have also used this system with silnylon although you need to far more careful due to the slipperiness.

Good luck with your quilt.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools