Topic

Spirafil 120 Synthetic insulation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Spirafil 120 Synthetic insulation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

I tried this in the gear forum last night, but I think it might be better here…

I converted a Marmot 15 F Trestles sleeping bag into a quilt the other day and now I have enough left over insulation to make something with. I am trying to figure out what this insulation would be comparable to. The thickness is about 3/8". Any ideas on how warm it is. Or how many layers I would need to layer together to make:

Over mittens good to -20F

A jacket for my dog to day hike in the winter down to about 0 F

OR a vest like the thru-hiker minima to wear in the summer at night, or as a mid layer or on winter trips

Thanks

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have a 5/8 inch vest I wear with base layer and eVent jacket, warm down to maybe 40F, a little cool at freezing, I think I need a little less insulation than the average person.

So – 3/8 inch – maybe 50 F, two layers – maybe 30 F

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools