Topic

Technical Shell (Denali, Rainier, 14’ers)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Technical Shell (Denali, Rainier, 14’ers)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Travis Wilson
    BPL Member

@spidiracer

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for awhile and thought I would make my first post. I've backpacked for a long time but I am just now really getting into it. I have acquired a lot of gear thus far but now I need to add a good technical shell. I will be doing Rainer next summer as well as a few 13 – 14ers. Eventually to Denali and who knows where else. I need a good shell. I was looking at the goretex pro shells but I have read on this site that they do not breath as well. But is the pro shell more durable than some of the other fabrics?

I was looking at the Outdoor Research Mentor, Mountain Hardware Optimo, and Marmot Troll wall. Any opinions about these? They are expensive jackets so I want to make sure I get a good one that will last me for years in some rugged places.

Any help is greatly apprecited!

-Travis

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Travis, I'd go for a good eVent parka. The REI Sushkan is about the least expensive but other good ones like the very top-of-the-line Westcomb parkas from Canada, who have more features on some parkas, if that's what you're looking for.

Travis Wilson
    BPL Member

@spidiracer

Thanks :) I am checking out the westcomb stuff right now. I've read a lot about the eVent stuff but I have not heard a lot of reader reviews yet.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Montane, or Rab eVent shells. I Use a windshell like a houdini though about 95 percent of the time because it stops the wind, and breaths WAY better than any hardshell. Especially because I live in drier and colder environment. Last couple trips haven't even taken my waterproof shell, just a Windshirt like a kings canyon or a Houdini.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

I have the REI Shuksan eVent Jacket and I love it. Great for what you are looking to do. RAB also makes some eVent Jackets that are alot lighter and I believe are liked alot on this site. I have never held or worn one.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

I climb quite a bit. Really like my Alpha SL, not much reason IMO for a heavier jacket.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

For climbing clothing I really like the stuff by First Ascent: I own both their BC-200 and Frontpoint jackets.

The best part is if live close to an EB Outlet or if you can wait until one of their sales at a regular EB store then you can find the Frontpoint for under $250 and the BC-200 for under $200 making them quite a bargain when compared to other products.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

I was just recently on the quest for a good shell. Something durable, breathable, and light. PU based jackets were a no-go. Gore Tex Pro is nice but way too $. I settled on the Westcomb Specter LT with eVent, it weighs around 12oz. What impressed me about Westcomb over other brands was the high quality construction. It is very well made. The hood is fully adjustable and helmet compatible in the event I get into technical climbing. My recommendation would be to get one of their slightly heavier jackets that has more abrasive resistant eVent and drops a little lower. Westcomb's fit is roomy enough to have a light puffy insulation layer underneath.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Selling an Alpha SL on the swap right now…

;)

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Westcomb Specter, Eddie Bauer BC200 or Rab Momentum. Full featured, helmet compatible, light weight, durable (given their weight) and highly breathable.

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

Patagonia M10

My size small weighs 10.4 ounces. THe M10 seems to be more breathable than any other shell I've worn before, certainly better than gore-tex. It has a nice hood and all around great fit for me. The pit-zips are combined with the pockets which I think is pretty brilliant. I used to wear a marmot mica jacket in the summer and the M10 in the winter, but I have found the bit of extra weight worth the better performance during the summer months too. Its now my all-season and condition shell.

The price is outrageous but I've seen a couple on gear swap and it isn't too hard to get 30% off at shoebuy.com

Travis Wilson
    BPL Member

@spidiracer

Thanks all :)

I spent a large chunk of my weekend shopping around. I agree on the eVent material. I want to test it out. I love goretex but that does not mean there is not something better out there. The Westcomb jackets looked really nice to me too. Though I have not seen one in person. I am still looking around but my choices are narrowing thanks to all of you.

Tough decisions!

Travis Wilson
    BPL Member

@spidiracer

Also, I have had very good luck with anything I have gotten from Patagonia… their stuff is all top notch. I do not know what they use for their material though… I know the name they use but what is it? How does it compare to eVent?

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The M10 jacket is pretty solid. All business, no pockets just a chest pocket and large pit zips. breathed pretty well when i was using it on the coast. but it is $400+. next season its going to be GTX pro shell.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Travis, I was an eVent addict until I tried a Gore-Tex Pro Shell jacket from Norrona. I found that fabric to be comparable in performance (including breathability) to eVent. My review of the Norrona falketind is at http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/reviews/Rain%20Gear/Jackets%20and%20Pants/Norrona%20falketind%20GTX%20Pro%20Shell%20Jacket/Owner%20Review%20by%20Richard%20Lyon/

I've given eVent products from Westcomb and Wild Things comparable reviews however. You can't go wrong with either.

Richard

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Travis, I had the REI eVent Sushkun for three seasons. On the third season the jacket started to wet out on me. I would wash it and retreat ir, but it just would continue to wet out. I now own an eVent Westcomb for one season. We'll see how that goes.

Jason Acker

@nwclimber199

I too have had bad experiences with many REI brand products. Any REI brand product with a zipper that I have bought went back due to zipper failures. Also the shell I bought started wetting out after only a few uses.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Their record is spotty, for sure, which is where that return policy comes in handy. They make a pretty good line of Thermal Pro base layers, though, IMO.

KiwiMtnClmbr
    BPL Member

@kiwimtnclmbr

Locale: Northeast Highlands

I've got a brand new in the bag Patagonia M10 shell, size Med, in the gecko green available if you're interested. PM me if you'd like to hear more about it…

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

My daughter has used an REI low end rain shell to ride her bike to school for 3 years of Oregon rain a good 20 minute ride often in a downpour. No failure of the fabric or zippers. She has also used one of their small backpacks as her book bag daily for the same time period and she zips it up and down with no gentle treatment. Tomorrow we take delivery of an REI Kimtah jacket in eVent which I insisted we get as she will be traveling to Europe and then China using an REI UL 60 which was my wife's pack which my daughter likes better than her Golite pack. So I'm pretty impressed with those products.

Travis Wilson
    BPL Member

@spidiracer

Well I've decided to get either the,

Wesbcomb Revenant
    Rab Latok

Both a pretty heavy but I think I prefer the extra durabilty. My layers underneath it are very light so I think that will make up for the extra weight.

I did buy a Marmot Precip just because it was on sale for only $50. I can use that for the 14'ers and get the heavy duty jacket when I do Rainier next summer. :D

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools