Topic

Lamarck Col to Mt Whitney

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Lamarck Col to Mt Whitney

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Trip report of Art's and my hike last summer. Entered the Sierra via Lamarck Col and over the next week hiked to Mt Whitney. Met some great people along the way.

Here is the link:

https://vennacher.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/john-muir-trail-halfer-2010/

Steve

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Excellent trip report.

–B.G.–

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

That is a great trip report.

Did you carry an empty bear canister from your cache location at Kearsarge through the end of the trip?

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Yes. I jammed my sleeping bag in its stuff sack into the empty each morning. Since the cannisters sit sideways in my pack it was not a problem (aside from an extra 1.5lbs) to carry the empty.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Lamarck is one heck of a cool col to go over! Love that area!!! Nice report!

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

Outstanding trip report and nicely written.

I went over Lamarck Col from North Lake about week after you. Our experience finding the col was very similar. We turned north on the JMT and went through Evolution Valley then up the Piute Trail and back over the Piute Pass to North Lake. Beautiful country!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Another alternative to Lamarck Col is Echo Col. It intersects the JMT a couple of miles south of Muir Pass. I think it is Class 3.

–B.G.–

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

Great report! Enjoyed your reflections immensely. Was curious about your hiking schedule for the evening. What time did you take your break/dinner, and how long did you rest before walking again, and then how long did you walk before camping? Did you snack before bed as well? Thanks

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Since I was a bit faster I usually stopped around 4pm and Art arrived around 5. We'd be back on the trail, usually between 6 and 6:30 and walk for anywhere between one to two and a half hours. We always wanted some light when we set up camp.

Once in camp, we always had the option to snack. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

The best thing about the late afternoon stop is that you can stop where it is convenient to clean up…usually near a lake or a creek, and where you have plenty of water for cooking, and provides a 2nd long rest break (lunch break was usually 30-60min, the dinner break usually 60-90min). Hiking a short distance (2-5 miles) afterward gives you many more options for camping.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools