Topic

Looking for fuel bottle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for fuel bottle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Hey all,
    I just got a couple Zelph Venom stoves. I've been on Esbit for a while but the difficulty I am having finding esbit is a PIA. So I'm gunna give alcohol another go. I never liked the cat stove because the flame pattern was too wide for my SP600 and the tea light is just too unreliable.

Anyhow, I liked my wing esbit stove because I could get the stove and about 5 esbit cubes in the SP600, nice and compact. The venom stove fits in the pot and has a hole through the center where I can fit a fuel bottle but none of mine a squat enough to fit with the pot lid on. I have 30ml and 50ml bottles but those don't have enough capacity for a 2-3 day hike. Anyone know of a bottle that will hold about 4floz (120ml) and nest inside the venom and SP600?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Anyone know of a bottle that will hold about 4floz (120ml) and nest inside the venom and SP600?"

Can you give me approximate dimensions?

–B.G.–

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

The SP600 inside with clearance for the lid is about 3.75 in. and the inner diameter of the stove is about 2.175 in.

So I guess I'm looking for the highest capacity bottle that fits 2 1/8 in. diameter X 3 3/4 tall.

I also just got back from testing the stove. Quite nice being sturdy, spill proof and works well with narrow pots. I didn't time any boils but I got 16floz to a rolling boil on about 3/4 floz fuel. 1/2 fuel got small bubbules before it went out, and 1 oz seemed too much. At 1 oz fuel I had to blow the stove out because my pot was about to boil over.

The stove is kinda porky at 1.7 oz but my other rigs required extra Ti tent pegs to hold up the pot. This stove works well with small pots and has an integrated stand. Very neat design.

Pros: very tough, works with small diameter pots, integrated pot stand, spill froof, no fuss operation

Cons: Heavy compared to a pop can or cat stove, cannot recover fuel due to its wick design

…… anyway, help finding a nesting bottle would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

That's a tough size.

I have many aluminum bottles that are much narrower with much less capacity (like 100ml max). I have some plastic jars that are too fat and with much more capacity.

If this is for alcohol, then plastic ought to be good enough. I suggest you browse the spice aisle at a grocery store. There may be some plastic product bottles about like what you seek.

Incidentally, I've made alcohol burners out of those aluminum bottles, both unpressurized and low-pressure.

Edit: Should you get a fuel bottle to fit the burner, or should you get a burner to fit the fuel bottle?

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

OK, I'm pretty close.

It's plastic. Diameter 1.9". Height 3.85" including cap. Capacity 4.5 fluid ounces.

It's a prescription pill bottle that my HMO uses, and I have a ton of them.

Here's another item. Plastic. Diameter 1.9". Height 3.6" including cap. Capacity 5.2 fluid ounces.

It's some OTC vitamin bottle.

–B.G.–

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

REI has some squeeze tubes that might work with a little modification. I'd cut it down to the right length and bond the end closed instead of using the clip that comes with it.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Bob, Perscription bottles you say? I hadn't thought of that. Your are talking pill bottles right? Are they actually leak proof, I've never expreimented with them.

I'm at the beach this week! I'm happy to report all the gear I need this week is an umbrella, chair and a cup of rum and coke…. and swim trunks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Bob, Perscription bottles you say? I hadn't thought of that. Your are talking pill bottles right? Are they actually leak proof, I've never expreimented with them."

Prescription pill bottles and vitamin bottles.

You didn't say anything about leak proof, although I have never seen pills leaking out. Mine seem to do a good job of sealing out humidity, so I think mine would be good at sealing in liquids. YMMV.

–B.G.–

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools