Topic

Half Ounce Headlamp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Half Ounce Headlamp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

I found a simple lightweight solution to replace my heavyweight Petzel Tikka XP 2 headlamp. It's a MYOG Half Ounce Headlamp. The headlamp is actually two lights with each one mounted at eye level on either side of the head. By mounting two Photon Freedom Micro flashlights to a lightweight elastic headband at eye level on either side I have been able to cut my headlamp weight by 83%. Since I already carry two Photon Freedom Micro flashlights anyway the additional weight for the elastic headband is only 1/10th of an ounce (4 grams). Now that's what I'm talkin'bout.

If you're interested here's a link to the full story: Half Ounce Headlamp

half ounce headlamp

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Ha! That's an awesome job man.

Ryan

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I have also found these little flashlights to be sufficient for night walking. My wife and I hiked out around midnight on one trip due to an approaching forest fire. We each used a single photon light.

Holding the light at waist level or lower provided the most useful lumination for us because it created more shadows at ground level and things like rocks and logs in the trail showed up better.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools