Topic

whoopie slings….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping whoopie slings….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

Looking for resources on whoopie slings. What they are, how they are used, why they are used, etc. I know nothing.
    BJ

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

i bought some.

they are considerably lighter than adjustable web straps 5 ounces or so and easier to use than line where you have to tie knots.

i love mine. i couldn't imagine going back to adjustable web straps and i don't tie knots well enough to use standard line.

once you get it hooked up they adjust very easy.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Have you been to the Hammock Forums? There are lots of resources there, including videos. Try a search and you should come up with all kinds of info…..probably more than you want :)

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

Exactly. Sensory overload and it's a tangent I don't have time for. Knots are second nature for me so maybe that is why I don't see what all the hubbub is about….

BJ

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

whoopieslings.com

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Well this IS Backpacking Light and the things are very light, fast and adjustable. Sgt Rock has a pretty near full hammock system at @ 1 lb using among other devices "whoopie slings" Makes "hanging" competitive so to speak with "ground dwelling" from a weight stand-point. What's to complain about less weight, less volume, and greater ease and simplicity?

Relatively easy and fun to make as well

And DEEP in the tradition of rope lore and knot tying. Besides which one driving force behind the application or transference of this particular bit of rope lore with time-honored, traditional sea-faring origins is the fantastically easy loosening of the /connection/knot after a night of lots of weight and pressure that can pull a typical knot so tight you need 2 pair of needle-nose pliers to pull it apart; and in some cases the rope can literally melt together.

Hopefully some more knowledgeable hangers can add to this……… I'm unfortunately still a ground dweller but one with great respect for all things nautical and the art and science of "hanging".

There's lots of interesting ultra-light hammock gear at this site: http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/ …………. including slings

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

This video should help answer some of your questions.

http://m.youtube.com/#/profile?user=ProfessorHammock&v=Yw6P3pHt8KI&view=videos

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Shug has the most entertaining and informative videos on hammock hanging:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery#p/search/12/d7NZVqpBUV0

Patricia Combee

@trailfrog

Locale: Northeast/Southeast your call

You could go to http://WWW.whoopieslings.com Lots of good information on the site.
    Hammockforum.com also is a great resource for all things hammock.

Cary Beuershausen

@kudzu

I recently switched to whoopies when I changed from a Hennessy to a Light Hiker. I've been happy so far. I don't know if it's any faster than my ring buckle suspension but it's definitely a lighter solution. I'll probably go back and retrofit my Hennessy as well.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Cola mentioned knots so tight it takes pliers to untie them. The solution is not to use knots, but lashings. One lashing technique is demonstrated in the Hennessy Hammocks web site instructional videos.

I replaced my stock Hennessy suspension with Whoopie Slings. By and large I'm pleased with the result. I greatly appreciate the adjustability of the slings. The only drawback has been that the Amsteel is very pliable making it prone to tangling. The stock Spectra suspension lines have a tight sheath of polyester which makes them stiff enough to resist tangling. Hammock forums has at least one thread devoted to avoiding the tangles of Whoopie Slings.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools