Topic

Good Day Hikes Close to D.C. Area?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Good Day Hikes Close to D.C. Area?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Locale: Colorado

I'll be just outside of D.C. next week and might have some time for a day hike. I haven't done any hiking in the area and wanted to get recommendations for must see places? I was thinking about something in Shenendoah NP. How are the ticks out there?

Thanks!

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Be sure to check out http://www.hikingupward.com/ for a pretty comprehensive list of day hikes in the area. Feel free to look beyond SNP and at the Massanutten and Great North Mountain areas in the George Washington National Forest for great hikes. Ticks have been known to be bad in the past this time of year but I've been surprised by how few I've seen so far this season.

If you have a handy map you can do any trail mileage you want by combining several outings listed in a given area on hikingupward.com.

Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Locale: Colorado

Thanks for the link Evan! Any personal favorites?

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

What type of miles do you want to do? Do you getting up to ridges (nothing like you have out west since there isn't a treeline here and typically only 2,000 – 4,000 foot "peaks")? Or staying closer to water?

How about doing Big Schloss in George Washington National Forest? http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id25.html

If you want to add miles you could do side trails to Halfmoon Mountain or White Rocks, trail maps both available on hikingupward.com.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

Go do the Dark Hollow trail near Big Meadows that runs along a stream or do the Old Rag.

I was up there last Sat. and did the Dark Hollow trail, not much bugs. once you
    get down the first section onto the gravel horse trail go over the stream on the horse
    train to the right and keep following the stream. It's ice cold water to fill up on.

Great Falls on the Potomac is very nice too. The Billy Goat trail is a good one with spectacular views of cliff rocks along the Potomac. It's a moderate hike but fun.

Beautiful time of year here.

No big worries on ticks with these trails.

If you can do a week day trip you will have a lot less people to pass up.

Cheers,
    Craig

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools