Topic

Overdue Hiker Found By Rangers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Overdue Hiker Found By Rangers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

hmmmmmm

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,37135,37412#msg-37412

Glacier National Park
    Overdue Hiker Found By Rangers

The park was contacted by the wife of an overdue hiker on Wednesday morning. Richard Layne, 59, was issued his backcountry permit on May 10th and according to his permit would be hiking in remote sections of Glacier's North Fork and exiting on May 20th. Layne and his wife had agreed that she was to contact the park if he was not back by May 25th. Layne's ambitious itinerary began at the Polebridge Ranger Station and headed to Bowman Lake, then ran from Bowman Lake to Brown's Pass, Hole-in-the-Wall, over Boulder Pass, past Kintla Lake and out the Inside North Fork Road to Big Prairie. Most of these areas are in still in winter condition with extreme hazards. Due to an impending change in weather expected on Thursday, rangers contracted Minute Man Aviation to fly Layne's route. From the helicopter, rangers spotted tracks in the snow going over Boulder Pass that were consistent with human travel. In the afternoon Layne was spotted near Upper Kintla Lake waving his red jacket at the helicopter. Rangers retrieved him and brought him out of the backcountry, uninjured but very tired. Layne has taken many winter snowshoeing trips in Glacier and carries a very heavy pack, up to 100 pounds. Although he has taken many winter trips, his permits are extremely ambitious, long in duration and are not recommended by the Park Service. "This is not the first time that Layne has been reported overdue," said IC Gary Moses. "We are very glad for the successful resolution of the search and that Mr. Layne was uninjured. While he nearly completed his intended trip, the number of days he was overdue, the route itself through extensive avalanche terrain, the approaching weather front, and his history prompted our immediate response upon notification from his wife."

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I hope he is being charged for this. Based on the article he has an apparent history. I am all for challenges but once waved off the helicopter because I was fine and no one asked them to come looking and I didn't want to be charged.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

I'm not sure what's more disturbing, his history of being overdue or 'planning' to have his wife wait 5 days before considered overdue from a 10 day trip in snow country. It sounds like he should know what he's doing but it also just seems like irresponsible, selfish planning.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

That guy REALLY needs a SPOT PLRB (and his a$$ kicked).

With a SPOT he could keep his worried wife informed of his progress AND she'd know he could call for help if truly necessary. Cheap dummy.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

"carries a very heavy pack, up to 100 pounds"

The park service should buy him a lifetime membership to this site. It would be cheaper than the searches, and his wife would be less worried too.

I'd be found much closer to the start of my journey with a pack that heavy!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools