Topic

Giardia with mild symptoms

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Giardia with mild symptoms

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I looked online for a description of the symptoms and was surprised to see that in most people, the symptoms are so mild they don't even seek treatment. I decided maybe I might have giardia and maybe I have had it in the past, too, since the symptoms I do have I have had before.

I always thought it was a violent illness, but I guess I was wrong. Am I the only one who may have had giardia but with only mild symptoms?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

that'a what I've heard

you may still have it

you may be infecting other people

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I think that most victims of Giardia experience major symptoms that are difficult to ignore. However, a certain percentage have milder symptoms. Sometimes they come once and then quit. Sometimes they come and go periodically.

One friend of mine apparently got the bug, and then had only mild symptoms that started about 8 days later. The symptoms increased until she went to a physician. He did not order any lab tests until the symptoms were still going at the second examination. Then the lab test results did not come back for a few days.

With a few people, the symptoms are so mild that the victim just thinks that it was something they ate, and then it went away. Maybe one transient bout of diarrhea.

–B.G.–

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I hope I'm not infecting anybody. I was not diagnosed but I am taking medication, some travel meds I got for this pupose. I was backpacking this weekend and it is not fun when you feel so bad.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Actually, this is about right. About 10-15% of people are immune. Another half never get anything beyong minor symptoms.
    Interesting, I heard somwhere that more beaver get Gardia from people than t'other way round.
    I would not worry too much. A good segment of the population may or may not have it…hence good sanitary habits are always needed.
    Unless you know, with a high probability, that you have it, I would not treat out of hand. Just my 2 cents…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I think (guess?) that most people have symptoms that are so mild that they just think it was something they ate and then went away.

Or are chronically infected with few symptoms.

Based on reading some of the links that have appeared here.

But there are no studies to confirm this. Why would someone do the definitive test for Giardia if they had no symptoms? And why would anyone do a scientific study that might lead people to not treat their water?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Why would someone do the definitive test for Giardia if they had no symptoms?"

That's easy. If a group of six people went backpacking together, and upon their return home, four of the six had symptoms and lab tests to diagnose Giardia present, and if you were one of the remaining two people. Then I think you would get tested.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Maybe…

I'de say "I'm sure glad I didn't get Giardia like my buddies!" : )

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools