Topic

tent recommendation for Juneau Alaska this August

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion tent recommendation for Juneau Alaska this August

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

hey all..just had a quick question…
    Myself and a friend are doing a trip up to Alaska this summer. Half on the trail, and half will be in Kayaks off the coast to some islands. Trying to figure out what would be a good tent for the two of us, and would be best suited for the conditions we may encounter.
    My first option would be my Double Rainbow Tarptent. DO you think that would be a good enough tent for the type of weather we may encounter?
    My second option would be an old Sierra Designs 2 person, 3 season tent I have. The thing is rock solid, and is can withstand gnarly conditions, BUT weighs a ton.

I would prefer the Tarptent, but just worried how it will stand if we get a lot of rain?

What do you all think?

I was gonna also bring my GoLite Poncho Tarp just in case we do get a lot of rain to use as a tarp to just hangout under, cook under or whatever. What do ya think?

THANKS!!!!
    Dan

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Anyone got any advice?

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

Pyramid shelters come highly recommended in Alaska, such as the MLD Duomid, Supermid, and Oware models. Light, roomy, and can use your trekking poles for support.

In July, I will be going on a two week trip to south central Alaska that consist of camping, backpacking, and kayaking. We are using shared group gear and decided on the new MSR Hoop 2 person tents. They are heavy but can take some abuse in all kinds of weather.

The Tarptent Scarp 2 or MLD Supermid would be my choices if I were able to pick my own gear. It comes down to compromises: A big single wall pyramid or a traditional double wall dome that will be used in a rain forest like environment.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

I would go with the Double Rainbow if you want to buy a new tent. It can be a little tight for two men but handles rain fine. And if you're comfortable hanging out under the other tarp I would definitely take the DR over the heavier tent.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools