Topic

Arc’teryx venta AR soft shell jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Arc’teryx venta AR soft shell jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kostas Lazanas

@klazanas9064

Locale: SouthWest

I own a venta AR softshell jacket with windstoper technology. It worked great against the wind in the guadalupe mountains but my question is will a softshell keep me dry in rain. It does have a DWR finish. Should I get a hardshell as well. Im taking a mountaineering course this coming winter and I was just thinking that this nice softshell would do the trick. Any advise would be really helpful!

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

the Venta is pretty much waterproof it will wet out, but as long as your not getting freezing rain like conditions(spring in the coastal range in northern BC) you'll be fine. For winter alpine climbing here(gets easily past -35 with winters here) I don't even bother with a shell. I use one of these Gamma MX, MHW dragon jacket or a Mammut ultimate Guide Hoody, Gamma MX pants, Venta pants.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Your jacket is perfect for cold weather pursuits. That's pretty much what it is designed for, highly aerobic activity in winter. However, I wouldn't have it with me if it's going to be raining. I presume you are asking how it will perform during Spring, Summer and Fall? Certainly could see use well into the Fall and Spring shoulder seasons but I can't imagine using it when it's warmer and rain is a possibility.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools