Topic

Wrapping a Heineken Pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wrapping a Heineken Pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Long ago I wrapped a heineken pot with fiberglass wick material thinking that it enables me to pick up the pot with my bare hand once the water comes to a boil. Once the pot comes to a boil, it's 212 degrees and is too hot for me to pick it up. It failed the test. What did I do wrong?

How many of you out there have experienced the same thing?

Wrapping the pot just makes it heavier.

Do the silicone bands really allow for picking up the pot with bare hands?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Dan,
    For my Keg-H I use Sugru, a silicone "putty" that sets over night. It is pliable, sticks to nearly everything, and is a good insulator. Google it for more information.

I formed two "finger bumps" on opposite sides of the lip that allow me to pick it up. Unlike a silicone band, which can slip off, this stuff is nearly permanent, and you can bulk it up in any shape you like for great grip. But, you have to pick the can up from the side. The tendency is to grab it from the top, and then you get a palm full of 200° vapor.

Send me an address via PM, or direct to [email protected], and I'll send you a few. Green, Red, Blue or Black.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hey Dan, I currently use a Heineken pot wrapped with fiberglass wick without any problems. I can always pick it up with barehands and right after the water boils. I actually use very little fiberglass wick too. I do a double layer of fiberglass wick, but keep the height of the wrap to less than 1/2". This provides enough area for me to pick up the pot using my my thumb and middle finger. I suspect that the extra layer of fiberglass wick is what allows me to pick it up without being burnt. Silicone bands on the other hand…I find that they suck. Too hot for me to handle without gloves. The wrap job adds a gram maybe? Just do a double layer, using superglue to glue the fiberglass wick to itself.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools