Topic

What’s your midnight snack for keeping warm?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking What’s your midnight snack for keeping warm?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

I'm having winter withdrawal, so the best I can do is spam BPL with posts on winter-related topics to keep my hope and imagination going. I think I need therapy… *sigh*

So, what's your midnight snack for keeping warm while snow camping? You know, the one you take into your sleeping bag to munch on at 2:00 AM after your dinner's heat-generating magic via caloric burning has worn off?

I'm kinda partial to Nilla Wafers. I once made the mistake of taking chocolate-covered espresso beans to bed. Won't be making that mistake again. LOL. But I did get to see an incredible sunrise as a result…

Lisa Valenti-Jordan

@puddlejumper

Locale: Bay Aarea

Snickers bar!!

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

don't keep them in your sleeping bag ;-)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> what's your midnight snack for keeping warm while snow camping?
    Never needed one.

Try a *large* dinner, a warm mat and a warm quilt, after a hard day's work. Works every time for us.

Cheers

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I love some cheezits late at night. Tasty, filling, not but sugary so it wont wake you up.
    Well, so long as there isn't any danger of a bear eating my face.

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

Almond butter, banana, and honey or almond butter and banana chips and honey. I no longer eat refined sugars but add some chocolate chips and man you have a nice high fat snack to keep you nice and warm while you sleep. And its not a snickers and i didn't support the Mars Corp and none of it is bad for me. Its all also very easy to pack!!

I also used to chow espresso beans in a gorp like trail mix i used to make. I am a caffeine addict though so it never keeps me up. I drink coffee watching the late news and roll over and go to bed.

Pretty sure all the caffeine in those beans did nothing for crapping though?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Foie gras

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

So although i eat no processed this or that blah blah blah and leave food in the form i found it in for the most part i have been day dreaming about the winter climbing season quite a bit as of late and how to take the most advantage of it this year. I love ice cream to death and have been thinking most of my winter climbing is spent way below freezing and why could i not bring a pint with me as my pre bed fat intake snack and one weekly sugar processed treat?

I kinda got this idea from a old friend whom had these little rituals and would always find ways to bring his favorite treats with him to his favorite places even if it was a real PITA!!!

I ran into this person after many years of loosing touch and they told me about a certain sandwich and sandwich shop that we both have loved very very much over the years and how he has now brought with him and eaten one of these sandwiches we both love from this one sandwich shop too like ten different countries. I guess he just packs the sandwich and fly's with it? When he arrives at his destination he breaks out the sandwich the camera and goes to town.

So i been thinking why could i not bring a pint with me on those sub 20% days and hang it from the outside of my pack all day?

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Does eating ice cream in the winter keep you warm? It kinda chills me. I suppose I could eat it on the go, but I wouldn't want to have it while at rest or just before bed.

That said, I suppose if you wanted to go light, you could just bring along a bottle of flavored syrup and enjoy an unlimited supply of snow cones or slushees…

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

How do you get the foie gras to keep?

I bring my truffle dog when hiking in Italy.

Unrelated – is the cayenne thing true?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools