Topic

2011 TGO Challenge Gear List for a wet Scottish May

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 2011 TGO Challenge Gear List for a wet Scottish May

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Locale: Northwest England

Now that I'm back from a fortnight's delightful yomping across the heather-clad hills of Scotland I have started to make a few notes and comments on the kit I chose to carry, looking at what worked well and what didn't during a particularly wet and windy TGO Challenge hike. The main list, in spreadsheet form, can be found here:

Jon Hancock's 2011 TGO Gear List

Weights are listed in grammes because most sources here in the UK use them, but I have also converted the totals into pounds. Despite preferring to deal with everything in pounds and ounces myself I have to admit that grammes seem to fit better with a spreadsheet. Apologies to those who need to convert the weights of individual items, but at least these days there are a plethora of unit conversion sites on the Internet to make it easy.

Further details and comments can be found on my blog Whartson Hall although I should point out that it does not have an exclusively outdoors focus; no focus at all, to be honest. Hopefully these notes may be of interest to anyone considering a modestly light load in British camping conditions.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

For those of us still working in ounces, after opening the Google Spreadsheet, File/Download as Excel, then use a Formula to convert in the appropriate column.

Thanks Jon.
    Nice gear list.

And great blog.

Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Locale: Northwest England

Very kind of you to say. I originally started a kit spreadsheet partly so that I could teach myself how to use spreadsheets in general, so I have been slowly learning how to apply conversion formulae and the like. In this case it seemed like overkill for my personal use, although now that I'm opening it up to the public it may make sense to add the conversions in directly.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

100 grams = 3.5 oz

28 grams = 1 oz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools