Topic

Rockies Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Rockies Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

I am getting ready to hike the CT & some of the CDT this summer. I have basic list together and have trial loaded my gear in a Vapor Trail, Jam, and Absaroka.
    The Vapor Trail won out. I will have a max of 7 days between mail drops, and the capacity and heavier load carry ability will be very useful, as it has in the past. The lack of hipbelt pocks is the major dislike for me, but I am thinking of getting Gossamer Gear pocket to solve this. I would like to hear anyone's experiences with these.
    The Absaroka carries well, but lacks the capacity I need. The pack will be great on trips with more frequent resupply points. It is my style and gear that limits this pack for me. I will use for other hikes, and do like it.
    The Jam has always been my 3 – 4 day pack. I like the outer back pocket for daily needs, and the pack fits me great. The hip belt pockets are a little on the small side for me, but have served me okay.
    The majority of my pack weight comes from my food and water needs. I have 13 lbs of food for the 7 day areas. This seem heavy to me, but it appears to good by the 2 lbs per day guideline. I know that I use 1L of water for 5 miles of hiking. I have 12 – 20 mile areas without convenient water sources, so I am prepared to carry 4L on these occasions. I have not listed my clothing that I am wearing.
    Thanks for looking this over and giving me the benefit of your observations.

Regards,
    John

Vapor Trail: 972g (34.3) I like volume & the heavier load carry over my Jam , but hate the lack of hip belt pockets

Merino top: 216g (7.6)
    Merino btm: 177g (6.2)
    Wool crew socks: 66g (2.3)
    MS synth pullover: 395 (14)
    Poly gloves: 34g (1.2)
    Wool gloves: 52g (1.8
    SW beanie: 59g (2.1)
    Wind shirt: 101g (3.6) New item to try, used rain shell in the past with good results

Virga rain jacket: 232g (8.2)
    Reed rain pants: 159g (5.6)
    Rain overmitts: 81g (2)

MB #2 reg: 804g (28.4)
    T-Rest wm pro 4: 680 (24)
    MSR Hubba HP: 1264g (44.6) Giving my Hut & tyvek a rest & trying a new shelter

Evernew .9L Pot: 117g (4.1)
    Pot cozy .9: 33g (1.2)
    Bowl: 16g (.6) Just a plastic bowl to mix up food & rehydrate in(beans, PB, and various powdered mixes)
    SP Spork: 16g (.6)
    Caldara Cone & Stove: 56g (2)
    Reg bic: 21g (.7)
    Measure: 1g
    Nalgene 16oz: 68g (2.4) This always goes with me (mixer, cup, hot h20 bottle, olive oil protector, ect. )
    Nalgene cozy: 14g (.5)

H2o Filter: 395g (14) Yes, very heavy! Weight is when wet and includes scoop, bleach, sack, and hand sanitizer
    Bleach dropper: 13g (.5)
    Plat 2L: 36g (1.3)
    Platy spares: 26g (.9) cap, bite valve, and filter link. All have fail in the past

Ladybug: 17g (.6) great little knife and lighter the my Mora clipper
    EOS headlamp: 100g (3.5) Rugged and bright, even though 1oz heavier than my tika
    Camera: 146g (5.1)
    GPS: 180/148g (6.3/5.2) w & w/o case weights. New item I am trying out
    Compass: 36g (1.3)
    Sansa mp3: 60g (2)
    Jet scrm whistle: 10g (.4)
    Bandana: 25g (.9)
    Sunstick: 33g (1.2) SPF chapstick
    Triptease: 41g (1.4) bear bagging
    Toilet kit: 51g (1.8)
    Deet dropper: 13g (.5)
    Headnet: 30g (1.1)
    First Aid Kit: XX (3)
    Maps: 66g (2)

6970 grams / 245.9 ounces / 15lb 5.9 ounces

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Vapor Trail: 972g (34.3) this is kinda heavy, you should figure out a way to get this lower, either with a scissor, or a lighter pack!

You'll do fine without hip pockets, I cut mine off my JAM pack!

MB #2 reg: 804g (28.4)

Is this your sleeping bag? A MontBel?

T-Rest wm pro 4: 680 (24)

Is this your pad? You could go a LOT lighter. 1o oz is plenty!

MSR Hubba HP: 1264g (44.6) THis is a LOT for a shelter, a tarp is lighter!

Bowl: 16g (.6) Just a plastic bowl to mix up food & rehydrate in(beans, PB, and various powdered mixes)

Easily nixed
    SP Spork: 16g (.6)
    Caldara Cone & Stove: 56g (2)
    Reg bic: 21g (.7)

Mini-Bic is lighter!

Nalgene 16oz: 68g (2.4) This always goes with me (mixer, cup, hot h20 bottle, olive oil protector, ect. )

Okay, anytime anyone sez "this ALWAYS goes with me" I reflexively wanna challenge that. My advice, NIX it for a test trip, you'll be FINE!

Get a small lightweight cup, and that is your bowl AND your mug! (multi-use!)

Bleach dropper: 13g (.5) – and –
    H2o Filter: 395g (14) Yes, very heavy! Weight is when wet and includes scoop, bleach, sack, and hand sanitizer

Good Grief, NIX this! Replace with AQUAMIRA drops repackaged in smaller bottles!!!

Plat 2L: 36g (1.3)
    Platy spares: 26g (.9) cap, bite valve, and filter link. All have fail in the past —- Nix the hose and bite valve thing. Just take a platy (with a normal lid) or a soda bottle.

Ladybug: 17g (.6) great little knife and lighter the my Mora clipper

NIX and replace with a single edge razor blade (0.1 oz)

EOS headlamp: 100g (3.5) Rugged and bright, even though 1oz heavier than my tika

If your tika is lighter – TAKE THAT INSEAD! (simple!)

GPS: 180/148g (6.3/5.2) w & w/o case weights. New item I am trying out

Easily NIXED with good map skills.

Sansa mp3: 60g (2)

Easily NIXED (especially in bear country!)

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

You wrote:
    =========
    I have 13 lbs of food for the 7 day areas. This seem heavy to me, but it appears to good by the 2 lbs per day guideline.

My reply:
    ==========
    2 pounds per day is TOO high.

1.4 pounds per day is MUCH more realistic. THis is an easy place to save weight (Who sez "2 lbs per day" is a guideline) Unless you are a professional football player (or you are at the end of a monthlong trip) you can easily trim that down.

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Hi Mike,

Wow.. Thanks for such great insight!

1. MB #2 reg: 804g (28.4)

Is this your sleeping bag? A MontBel?

Yes it is, it is the ULSS as I am a crazy tosser. I tried the quilts but they don't work well for me.

2. MSR Hubba HP: 1264g (44.6) THis is a LOT for a shelter, a tarp is lighter!

The Hut 1 is back for another trip 18oz

3. Bowl: 16g (.6) Just a plastic bowl to mix up food & rehydrate in(beans, PB, and various powdered mixes)

Easily nixed

Gone

4. Reg bic: 21g (.7)

Mini-Bic is lighter!

Yeah, but hard with Arthritis

5. Get a small lightweight cup, and that is your bowl AND your mug! (multi-use!)

LOL on the Nalgene! I will see what is availible. My 700ml 3.7oz

6. AQUAMIRA drops repackaged in smaller bottles!!!

I will try this on my shake down hikes

7.Ladybug: 17g (.6) great little knife and lighter the my Mora clipper

NIX and replace with a single edge razor blade (0.1 oz)

Done. No more that I use a knife this is easy!

8.EOS headlamp: 100g (3.5) Rugged and bright, even though 1oz heavier than my tika

If your tika is lighter – TAKE THAT INSEAD! (simple!)

Done, simple indeed

9. Platy spare $ MP3 going into a bounce box.

10. Food: I have been mulling this a lot. The lighter my pack, the more miles & less food I really need. I would like be at 10lbs here. I know I have excess weight here due to the energy bars, and no cook snacks. I was torn between the convience of no cook and haveing to stop to rehydrate or cook lunches. The convenient no cook won, but I will take another look at what I can swap for dehydrated meals.

Thanks again Mike! I just bought 3 or you books, but just started with the backpacking book first. I think I am reading the wrong one right now.

Regards,
    John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools