Topic

PCT at Mexican Border Late June?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports PCT at Mexican Border Late June?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Is this too late to hit this up? Got a buy-off from the wife for a solo three day north from the Mexican border but I'm worried it's too late / hot / dry…. Should it be a concern? Only looking to go north for two nights. Suggestions? Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong section to post this question. Moderator mercy please.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

by "two nights" how many miles do you mean?

the first 20 miles has very little water.
    at mile 20, Lake Morena has water and a place to camp.

unless you absolutely Must start from the border, I would start at mile 20, Lake Morena, or mile 26, Boulder Oaks Campground, and head north from there for 2-3 days. The 35 miles north of Boulder Oaks is very nice and slighlty higher elevation, with a few more water sources.

also, what kind of experience are you looking for, how remote, etc.
    Lake Morena actually has a small town next to it.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Keep an eye on the PCT water report. The seasonal springs have run for a surprisingly long time this year and we're getting more rain right now.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

The experience I'm going for is dawn to dusk hiking. Goal of 15-20 per day. (ambitious in my current condition but hell, why not…) just looking to get away, put one foot infront ofthe other and go till I can't. Don't want to hump a gallon or did of thirst either though….

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

You might consider Lake Morena to Pioneer Mail Picnic Area (30 miles). There's water in both areas. Cut across the highway to Pine Mountain Trail to Indian Creek Trail to Noble Canyon Trail and back to the highway. There may be water along Indian Creek Trail, and there will be water again near the highway.

I'll probably be hiking in this area around the same time as you. Look for the ULA pack.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools