Topic

Garmin Foretrex 301 – Help Needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Garmin Foretrex 301 – Help Needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

So, got the 301. Never seen a GPS before.

RTFM – Did that.
    Read the PDF on the CD.
    Google – Did that, and boy was that ugly…

Can someone point me to a link/site that actually explains how to get a Route from NG Topo! into the 301?

Also, am I correct in assuming that I want my "Position Data" in Setup to be in UTM/UPS? And that "Map Datum" should be WGS 84?

Am I correct in believing Routes can be downloaded without purchasing additional software?

Is there a good forum to lurk and search in?
    Any all tips and tricks greatly appreciated.

Edit: To clarify – I don't want to download maps (I don't thing the 301 is built for that. I only want to download a the waypoints of a Route – so I can "GO TO" if I am doing cross country in a featureless landscape.

Thanks.

Allan Peretz

@alibi

Locale: The Ozarks

Hi:

I have a ForeTrex 301 too and am really enjoying it. Took me a while, however, to come up with a workable solution for route management. Here's how I do it.

Download and install Garmin BaseCamp at: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/onthetrail/basecamp

It's a free download. Then, download free topo maps for BaseCamp (instead of paying for the Garmin ones) at: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Finally, you can download some pre-made routes (and import into BaseCamp) at: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/TrimbleOutdoors.aspx

BaseCamp will allow you to sync your PC routes and your ForeTrex. I use it all the time.

Good luck!

Allan

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Allan,
    I have Topo!, and can create routes, with waypoints, and can export .gps files to my PC, and then I drag and drop the .gps file into the 301's "GPX" Folder. But I don't know how to find that route when is GPS mode on the 301.

Is the BaseCamp "sync" another way of saying "I'll move the file for you"?

Thanks.

Edit: Corrected Drag and Drop to the "GPX" folder on the 301. I was putting it incorrectly in Current.

I needed to configure Topo! with respect to Garmin, USB, etc. (but I'm still missing something). Routes and Waypoints are now visible on the 301.Topo! can't establish the USB connection for a direct download, but it is happy to dump the file into the 301's GPX when I tell it to. Go Figure.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools