Topic

Polycro ground sheet as a rain shawl

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Polycro ground sheet as a rain shawl

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

A recent trip where I forgot my umbrella had me using my polycro ground sheet as a rain shawl. I draped it around my neck and criss-crossed it in front, trying to leave as much covering my shoulders as I could. My backpack waist belt held it in place. My sternum strap went beneath the plastic. My camera hangs from the sternum strap and the plastic kept it dry.

I can't say it was the most effective, but it did help a great deal. My torso stayed dry. My camera stayed dry. It was warmer wearing it than without. It was raining as a fine spray and not heavy rain.

Anyway, it was a back-up plan I always kept in the back of my mind and finally had an opportunity to try it and it worked. YMMV.

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

I'm glad it worked, Piper. I've thought about using one for that, as well, as tarp, in a pinch. I saw a video somewhere where a guy sewed a tube tent out of Polycro. It didn't look too durable, but you couldn't beat the price, for a SUL tent.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have been using my polycryo ground cloth as a rain skirt since I got it last year.
    I just wrap it around twice and tie a knot at my hip.

It works great and seems to hold up against brambles.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools