Topic

Trinity Alps Ranger trail info

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Trinity Alps Ranger trail info

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chuck Cheese

@defrag4

Not sure if this has been posted yet, I was searching around to see what the conditions were up at Trinity and found the ranger report has just been posted for this year. Looks like a bunch of snow and due to budget cutbacks no one there to plow the roads. :( They are still getting dumped on, received 4ft of fresh snow last week.

Also some jackass sawed down 2 live trees by Lower Canyon Creek Lake for their illegal fire pit :/

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5154861.pdf

I fired off an email to the wildlife manager hoping to find something that might be open for memorial day but its looking slim.

Chuck Cheese

@defrag4

Got a reply from the ranger if anyones interested

Hi James, the problem is that we've had abvout six feet of additional snow in the last 1.5 weeks. There are some decent possibilities though. Your best bet is to go to the Hobo Gulch trailhead and hike up the North Fork Trinity. The Creek is super beautiful and as long as you can substitute 'creek' for a destination rather than 'Lake' as a destination you will be a happy camper. You can also hike at least nine miles up just the main trail and find plenty of privacy. Jorstad and Morrison's Cabin are also a point of interest for a day-walk from your basecamp. As far as lakes go, there isn't one of them that has has less than many feet of snow still covering them. Hope this helps, Jim

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Six new feet in mid-May? Unreal.

The Trinity River hike sounds worthy, and the prediction of solitude seems pretty realistic too.

Too bad it's such a haul for me–I'd love to take a quick trip up there.

Cheers,

Rick

Chuck Cheese

@defrag4

ya its quite a haul up there, I think I am going to wait till it melts off a bit to make the trek

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools