Topic

“Inverse cone chimney kettle”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “Inverse cone chimney kettle”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

This thread is a spin off from "Backcountry Boiler Mk II available!" thread's requests for a ti boiler (
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=47502)

As ti is no advantage / too hard to manufacture for the kettle part, I added some inverse suggestions. To avoid hijacking the thread, this idea will be continued here.

This 1st diagram shows a cone using the standard structural fire-base, which inverts and is packed in the cone, just like the BCB(Back country Boiler).
    It will either have a larger packed size or a smaller capacity (1 cup not 2, but this may be OK, just do 2 consecutive boils). I made a stainless steel cone version (11oz) of this one with standard 5in bought fire-base (and 28 fluid oz stainless steel pot).
    Inverse chimney (Standard structural  firebowl)

This second diagram shows the cone previously described (in above mentioned thread), to
    recap it is taller when packed, (collapses around tall conic pot). The fire-bowl is foil and internal, it may collapse too. This version should be lighter, but less convenient.Inverse chimney ti

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

The diagram 1 style could perhaps be used to make a 1 cup kettle of same size as the BCB:

use a 165mm by 50mm aluminium candle mould as pot (another compromise, it is a plain cylinder): with an 8in tall outer cone, according to my rough calcs, this should have approximately the same chimney area as the BCB, with approximately the same chimney height. Could use a BCB fire base, or for MYOG, could use a 4in pudding bowl.

EDIT: Bahh, candle moulds have a hole in the lower end.

I am however, getting the feeling that even those who view the BCB as too heavy for them, will still only consider a (not yet existing) lighter BCB-style device.
    I had assumed the chimney effect worth having, even if drop some other features.

Is the above 1 cup idea (or any of the above other ideas) sale-able?
    This is why this post is in the gear section not MYOG section.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Interesting… basically a Caldera Cone integrated into the mug.

Don Meredith

lightpack.blogspot.com

Paul Osborn

@bcoutdoors

I've been toying with a bundt cake idea. Basically a combination of the swiss ranger and the back country boiler/kelly kettle. Best of both worlds…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools