Topic

Online Backpack Trip Listing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Online Backpack Trip Listing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

As one who would like to take a trip in the Sierras next year (a totally unfamiliar area as well as terrain I’ve never experienced), the prospect of getting specific trip info is exciting.
    I think that a structured format would be essential to successful presentation and searchability. If the key data were available on a single initial trip report page, other more extensive detail, including pictures, could be linked for those desiring that level of information. This would streamline our exploration process, make printing of these “one page” summaries efficient for future review.
    The inclusion of lat/lon or UTM cordinates for key points (trailheads, trail intersections, and other points of interest) would facilitate trip preparation for those of us who use computer mapping software to custom-print our topos. Although we don’t need maps ala Backpacker magazine, the key points coupled with a general description of the trail and route would be most helpful.
    Specific directions to the trailhead, if obscure, could be one of those “linked” details. Also permit, elevation, weather/seasonal info, local transportation, etc.
    Needs to be easy for the reporter but specific and detailed enough to allow route planning by one who hasn’t hiked the area before.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I like the idea of organizing the forum primarily by region but being able to query other data as well. I’m not sure what software is out there to do that, but it would be nice if you could enter in some specific data after your text. For example, you could mention a possible trip and then enter in mileage, best season, etc. The Washington Trail Association does this, although the choices are more limited (lots of check boxes).

Speaking of which, one of the things that should be mentioned (perhaps as a “sticky” post) are the existing sites for a particular region. For example, Washington state is blessed with a couple great web sites, WTA and NWHikers.net . WTA has a lot of posts; they tend to be about day hikes (although you will find a few backpack trips) and it thus most useful for determining trail conditions (snow, blowdowns, etc.). The information found there is often more informative than that found at the ranger station. NW Hikers.net is more forum based, so you will find lengthier discussions there (I would recommend that site if you wanted to plan a big trip to the Northwest).

Mary Simpson

@maryphyl

There is a fellow here in Arizona who has been working on just such an idea for a number of years. See if you like the way his site is set up–some ideas might be useful.

http://www.hikearizona.com/

I can help with Grand Canyon hikes.
    Mary

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

I REALLY like the map feature–it makes it easy to search if you’re “just visiting” a specific area and want to throw in a quick trip and not “heading to a destination for a hike”. We’ll have to see if we can pinpoint each hike on some sort of overview map. This seems like a critical feature now that I’ve seen it.

Otherwise it doesn’t seem searchable except by region. I think it would be very nice to be able to search for a specific trip by region as well as distance, elevation gain, and other features.

I’d like a database of multiple “trophy” trips across the country ranging from 20-30 miles (a weekend) to ?? up to 500 miles or more. I ‘d like to focus on backpack trips (as opposed to hiking) and preferably the cream of local areas. This would encourage us to get out to different areas.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Kevin,
    The online services that are available att are just not user friendly for finding a trail the length you want to go.
    Here are a few recommendations I would love to see.
    A great help to the map would be if it had mapped regions in each state that you could click to view a close up of a map of the different trails in that region. To me this would be the best option. Just click on a region for a map with the trails and distance, click on that trail and it would take you to the info.
    Having a distance w/ location (region) search would be the next best option.

In order to avoid confusion, there could also be trails off of thru-trails. Lets say you wanted to hike a loop or section of the JMT. Instead of having to searching for the numerous trails that would over lap the area, you could just click on the JMT and the trails inputted that connect from it would come up.

This would be a great help if someone wants to do a section or make up there own loops or hike several sections at once of a trail, but not always wanting to stay on the main trail.
    I find that when I do a hike like this on my own, I am usually in the Middle of Butt F Nowhere. I like it, but being able to know what trails were a little more used would be nice. Not many newbies will ever venture off but the most crowded of trails because of this.

Alan Lindsley, AIA, IESNA
    BPL Member

@aindsleyarch-light-com

I think that an online resource throught BPL would be great. I do a lot of climbing trips and use online forums a lot for “beta” on new areas to make trip planning easier. I have lot’s of experience in the Trinity Alps, Northern and Southern Sierras. I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Alan Lindsley

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I would most certainly contribute trips if anyone was interested in some Canadian content.

Would this be a section available to paid members only or would it be available to everyone?

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Kevin,

Please give us updates as you make progress on this endeavor.

I would suggest that whatever the format turns out to be, consider allowing space for those who can contribute more sophisticated content to do so, while not shutting out anyone who wants to share. Even a little info. on a jewel of a trek is welcome by me regardless of whether it comes with all "critical" elevation info. or a gallery of photos. Obviously an off-trail trip is going to require way more info., but I would love to be able to query this site when I zero in on a geographical region before picking the route. I would weigh a members input here, especially if I could shoot them a question, over any author or other source.

Thanks for your efforts!

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

It sounds like it's a go, but the ball is in Ryan's (very busy) court. I'll post updates as they occur.

Part of the design is to make the "required" data comprehensive enough to make the trip useable, but allow for much more data for those who want to give it.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Any updates with the Trip database???

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I would be glad to contribute information on walks in Japan and would love to see information on walks around the world, not just for the US.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

I just emailed Ryan about this issue two weeks ago and he has someone working on it and I have sent that person the links/information on what I envision. Ryan seems to think it will be functioning by summer–but I know he has a lot going on. I will keep pushing this, but the technical details and build are not something I can contribute to or push. I really hope it happens.

Maybe we could get you on a different trail for your honeymoon this summer! :)

Mark Solberg

@ggeshark

Locale: along Mosquito Creek

One format that is already up and running is :

http://www.hikipedia.com/

The database is searchable by location, length of trail, difficulty, elevation gain, and other parameters.

Hikipedia costs nothing to use – They just ask you to consider sharing your hiking experience with other hikers using Hikipedia. Information you submit is explicitly placed in the public domain to make sure your contributions will benefit the hiking community without any legal restrictions.

BackpackingLight may come up with a format that works even better, but until then Hikipedia is a FREE database that has many trails reviewed already, and is seeeking input from the hiking community right now.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

An interesting format and in the ballpark of what I had in mind. It must be new because I searched for trails within 250 miles of Sacramento greater than 10 miles in length and found only one (1) trail! Ditto for San Francisco (and they were different trails and should have shown up on each others search because Sacramento and SF are only 60 miles apart–I know both trails). It seems heavy on dayhikes and I'm more interested in long distance (>30-50 mile) trails/loops.

Douglas Durham
    BPL Member

@djdurham

I would be very interested. I would be happy to post trips. Mainly in the Dolly Sods area of West Virginia.
    Douglas Durham

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Still pushing for this great potential resource.

While stories of super-human expeditions are worthy of time and space, and advancements in uberlight packs and clothing drive commerce for the small business owners….this kind of trip report stands to benefit the folks who frequent site and pay them back in a way.

While user reviews are nice non-biased ways for consumers to evaluate gear…it also has the added benefit of building the all precious content that generates those key links when browsers on the web use search engines. A trip database for the true enthusiast would be more of a gift to us site supportors in it's purist form. (Just my little rant since so many other initiatives have come to pass on this site and so much time has passed since this was first brought up)

Nicolas Hinze

@nhinze

Dear all,

I have recently created a free online trail database. I was very frustrated to not be able to find good free trail information online. Especially nothing good connected to Google Maps for trailhead driving directions. It's new and only has a few hundred trails. Anyone can add or edit the trail information.

You can find it at http://www.trailheadfinder.com

Nick,

Jim McGuire

@onthrdagn

Hey the "Trip Listing" sounds great to me, I have no idea what I am doing yet and some real examples would be great. I have read the posts here on the site looking at types of equipment and when they are used for what and it gives me is an idea of what I might want to use. It also helps me to understand what I am getting into. I am looking at short hikes at first but what is short. The Trip List you’re talking about and how you handle snow, Rain or heat and all the rest really helps thanks it’s a great.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I'd also like to see the hiking/partners forum enhanced
    so you could post a trip and have others sign up; something similiar to http://www.outdoorsclub.org (southern ca is the only active region on that site.

Beau Beveridge

@roadtorque

I realize this a very old thread but the idea seemed to be well accepted. Did this feature ever become available for BPL subscribers, is it still in design, or has it long since been forgotten?

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

I think the idea was droopped.

Warren Wheeler
    Spectator

@warrenw48

I have been considering trying to get some sort of national data base for the "shuttle industry". I would love to be able to just hop on a Greyhound bus and then make arrangements to have someone get me to the trail head from the bus depot. Bottom line, trip descriptions is a great idea and I hope you will include a section with information for area shuttle services, for the trips described.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools