Topic

Help me Brainstorm Fabric “Wear” Testing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Help me Brainstorm Fabric “Wear” Testing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I have fabric, a DIY HH tester, and a 5 meter "Rain Tower" ready to go. Now I need to "age" the test fabric.

The standards to address this require washing the fabric for each "wear cycle" (of which there will be many). This is OK if you are Gore and have a bank of 100 washing machines at your disposal, but I don't. And I'm not convinced that washing mimics stuffing and walking for 8 hours. (I killed a Caldera Cone Fosters can by hiking with it unprotected in my pack. Just the jostling of each step over a 10 day hike was enough to flex it to death. Hence the "Caddy")

I'm using fabric samples that are 18"x18", so not a lot of bulk, even for many. My current thought is to stuff them into a small bag, attach it to a foam plunger connected to a variable speed jig saw set on "slow", and let it compress and release for some number of hours.

What I need are other ideas that approximate this short stroke compression cycle. A cheap sewing machine might work. There may be "hobby mechanisms", like a Legos windmill, that would work.

I'm open to any and all interpretations on how to get this done.
    Wild and wacky. Toys. Tools.
    Obviously "out of the box".

Thanks for your help.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A rotisserie motor will give you a cheap, slow, rotating power source. Don't know about the rest of the contraption. How about a bass drum pedal?

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

How about your clothes dryer set on cool tumble ? If you need to add abrasion elements maybe line it with aluminum screening?

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

I like the above rotisserie-motor idea. My first thought was a giant rock-tumbler like device – a little rotating cement mixer thing with a bunch of tennis balls or whatever thrown inside with the fabrics. Something like that…

Using a dryer could get expensive but the added heat might help break things down a little faster?

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Greg, you could get an old washing machine motor (out of a regular washer- free) on Craig's List. The gearing would be closer to what you would need and you won't burn out the jig saw motor. The jig motor and bushings won't last very long when run continuously.
    Or a box fan motor with a pulley system to change the gearing.

Good luck.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"A rotisserie motor" is a great idea. I currently have my variable speed drill driving a windmill like contraption, but it stall at slow speeds. A rotisserie motor, on the other hand is already there!

Abrasion per se is not the goal. What I am trying to mimic is the intra-fabric scrunching (technical term) that occurs with stuffing and hiking. Think "rubbing your hands together".

Edit: When I walk, I'm doing about 100 to 120 steps per minute. So I'm thinking of something that cycles in the 50 to 100 rpm range.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools