Topic

compressing marshmallows?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition compressing marshmallows?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

I am hoofing out 5+ pounds of marshmallows to California Conservation Core as a thank you for their work in the Los Padres National Forest. My question is can you compress marshmallows via a vacuum sealed bag? I am up for other ideas as well. These are 2 or 3 times the size of normal marshmallows by the way each bag weighing 27.51 ounces.

Thank you.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

They will never be the same again – you can do it…but YMMV.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Ha, ha. You can't. They will simply expand to replace whatever air you suck out.
    You could try dehydrating them….

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

You can totally compress marshmallows*, and you're very close to the right idea with the vacuum bag.

A couple months ago, I bought a vacuum pump and bell to degas liquid silicone (to prototype the custom stopper for my Backcountry Boiler :) ). Remembering middle school science class, I tested the vacuum I was drawing by putting marshmallows in the bell. At first (as James points out), they get huge as the air bubbles expand. But then the air bubbles burst, and when you remove the vacuum, they're about half their usual size and really dense. As Sarah points out, they'll never be the same, but it's a lot of fun!

*I'm quite sure this is not helpful at all, but I wanted to share. :)

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, Devins correct, you could try it two or three times and see what happens.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Another problem, if it's a warm day, is that squished (or compressed, if you prefer) marshmallows tend to fuse together. You may end up with one enormous marshmallow!

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

Looks like my bag is going to be taken up by more than 1/2 by marshmallows. On the plus side besides doing something for the CCC my pack will be 2x as light when I drop them off. Thanks everyone.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

…Aren't the marshmallows multi-use? Sleeping pad, pillow, place under jacket for extra insulation, etc?

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

I tried this in a Food Saver bag a few months ago to take on a trip and the marshmallows ended up being one big gooey lump. I could pry them apart sort of, but it was mostly fail. On top of that the package didn't really compress at all. Good luck.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools