Topic

VA Appalachian Trail three season list. Please help me fill in the gaps and lose some more weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists VA Appalachian Trail three season list. Please help me fill in the gaps and lose some more weight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    J Chandler

@sccrman13

Locale: VA

Here is my list so far some of the stuff I currently own the others I am acquiring. Please any suggestions on stuff that is missing besides clothes because I don't have all those on a list at the moment. There are three things at the moment I don't want to change. One is my tarptent as I like the full protection from critters. Two is canister stoves for me are the most convenient, and lastly I am open to some changes with sleeping arrangements but I have done the 3/4 ridgerest and pack and I can say that I am extremely excited about never doing it again. In other words I don't mind giving up half a pound if it means I will be more comfy through the night. Thanks for your input.

GoLite Jam2 Large 21.60
    Tarptent Sublite 19.50
    Montbell SS Down Hugger #2 Long 31.50
    Exped Synmat UL 7 sleeping pad and stuff sack 16.50
    Thermarest Stuff Sack Pillow 2.70
    Thermarest Lite Seat 3.00
    Jetboil Sol Ti Premium Cooking System 9.90
    Backpacking Light Firelite 550-SUL Titanium pot/mug 2.21
    Light My Fire Spork 0.28
    Camelbak Better Bottle 1L 6.20
    Nalgene Cantene 1L 2.10
    Steripen Adventurer Opti UV purifier 3.60
    Steripen Prefilter 2.10
    MSR Nano Towel 0.40
    MSR Packsoap 2.80
    Petzl Tikka XP 3.35
    Petzl e+LITE backup light/ whistle 0.98
    Gossamer Gear LT3C trekking poles 5.80
    Bic Lighter 0.70
    Gerber compact scout knife 1.40
    Light My Fire mini firesteel 0.50
    Waterproof and Windproof Matches 0.40
    Coghlan's Pack 1 First Aid Kit 1.00
    SOL rescue flash signal mirror 0.32
    Brunton 7DNL Compass 0.91

Total (ounces) 139.75
    Total (lbs.) 8.73

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I use a Montbell #3 and add clothing if needed in colder temps. You could save weight in your water bottles. I use platy's or reuse water bottles. I use NeoAir or Kookabay SAM pads and add a GG foam pad if needed for lower temps, lighter and very comfortable. I have a Sublite and love it but have not used it in 24 hour heavy rain, only in Big Bend. I think the Sublite Sil might be better for that. I use a Soto stove and my total kit: Wendy's spoon, Starbucks coffee cup, pot and bowl + stove is 9 ounces without full fuel can. You have a wide range of temp from summer in Georgia to Oct or April in Maine.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Howdy. I backpack in the same area and have a pretty similar gear list. A couple things I did to cut wait:

-Pack. Switch to a lighter pack than than the Jam2. I went MLD and got a Burn, but if you don't think you can fit everything in there, the Prophet might work better. You could save up to 10 oz. with the Burn and I think it is a more comfortable and superior pack to the Jam2.

-Shelter. Seriously consider a lighter shelter option, or splurge for a really fancy cuben complete protection shelter of some sort (Lightheart Solo, Hexamid, Duomid with bug netting, etc.). I thought I would never give up the tent-like protection but the freedom and skillset of using a 4 oz. tarp and 6 oz. bivy for 10 oz. of total bug and weather protection is so cool and light (I do use a Duomid for more difficult weather). If you can borrow someone's set up and play with it for a trip, you might realize the weight savings and flexibility of this duo might be worth it for you.

-Pad. I recently grabbed a Neoair small (9 oz.) and put my pack under the bottom of my legs. Surprisingly, it works. I get the full torso comfort of the Neoair while shedding quite a few ounces.

-Quilt. Quilts are cool, particularly in the summer. I have a Nunatak Arc Edge — 11 oz. which keeps me warm down to 40 degrees and packs down to nothing. A JRB Stealth would work great too — and you'd be supporting another VA-based business.

-Random Things. You could probably lose another pound by some austerity measures with your water bottle selection, fire starters, pillow, seat, etc. but if you enjoy all those things, all the better. I just considered getting a UL pillow after spending a few years sleeping on my shoes, clothes, nothing, etc. I might sleep better.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

GoLite Jam2 Large 21.60

Cut off stuff with a scissor. You should be able to NIX a good 8 ounces easy!

Tarp-tent Sublite 19.50

SWITCH out to a TARP, save about 10 ounces!

Exped Synmat UL 7 sleeping pad and stuff sack 16.50

SWITCH out to a torso length pad, and save 8.5 oz.

Thermarest Stuff Sack Pillow 2.70

Revise to a smaller pillow, 1.8 oz max.

Thermarest Lite Seat 3.00

Is this a joke? Your kidding, right?

Jet-boil Sol Ti Premium Cooking System 9.90

NIX and replace with an alcohol cat food can.

Camelbak Better Bottle 1L 6.20

WHAT?!?!? Over SIX OUNCES for a 1-liter water bottle?!?!? NIX and replace with a simple grocery store spring water bottle (about 1 oz)

Nalgene Canteen 1L 2.10

NIX

Steripen Adventurer Opti UV purifier 3.60

NIX, replace with aqua mira drops (repackaged into smaller bottles), save 2 oz

Steripen Pre-filter 2.10

NIX

MSR Nano Towel 0.40

NIX

MSR Pack-soap 2.80

Weighs too much, repackage in smaller vessel, 1 oz is plenty.

Petzl Tikka XP 3.35

NIX, te Petzl e+LITE is plenty.

Gossamer Gear LT3C trekking poles 5.80

Weight not part of pack weight

Bic Lighter 0.70

REPLACE with a mini-bic

Gerber compact scout knife 1.40

NIX and replace with a single edge razor-blade (save 1.3 oz)

Light My Fire mini fire-steel 0.50

NIX (matches below weigh less)
    Waterproof and Windproof Matches 0.40

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools