Topic

Water filters and Alaska glacial Silt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Water filters and Alaska glacial Silt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Heya,
    In early July I'm going to Alaska for a week to hike the crow pass trail.
    I'm bringing an MSR gravity works filter. Do any of you know if the glacial silt will plug it up too quickly? I noticed the water up there looks pretty milky.

Also, any other tips you may have on backpacking that area are appreciated.

Thanks!!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If you let the water settle for a few hours or overnight it helps

Al Nichols

@everready

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio

I've heard of folks using plastic gallon milk jugs to let the water settle. Just cut out a big hole opposite of the handle.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

not sure what sized particles would make it through a Coffee filter but it would seem that using as a pre-filter would significantly reduce the load on your main filter.

robert mckay
    Spectator

@rahstin

Locale: The Great Land

the only glacial silt comes from the eagle river.
    if you filter from the multitude of side streams you wont have any problems.
    start from the girdwood side of things, it is uphill to crow pass for a couple of miles then (pretty much) all downhill from there.
    there is an AWESOME new cabin at crow pass, but it must be reserved in advance.
    there are a LOT of bears on the eagle river side. Make sure to make a lot of noise.
    soon after the ford of the river, go left as the trail follows the river bank and isn't marked well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools