Topic

New tarp setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New tarp setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    john parker
    BPL Member

@orclwzrd

Locale: Illinois

So after you look at the pic, I'm looking for suggestions, comments, observations, etc..

This is my first time setting up the brand spanking new never camped in OES 8×10 Cat Cut Tarp and GoLite Shangri-La 1 Nest.

I'd love to hear suggestions on best pitch. Does anyone else have a similar rig?

The Nest is to keep the ticks and skeeters at bay so ultra tight pitch isn't critical for that part. My trekking poles are adjustable and left set for my normal hiking height. I did have a ridgeline inside the tarp. The foot end of the nest set up nicely with a prussic off the ridgeline. I couldn't get the head of the nest tight with out really extending the trekking poles (probably why they are adjustable!) Oh and this seems to take about a billion stakes!! LOL

Thanks for any thoughts. Oh, nest and tarp weigh just barely over 2 lbs without lines.

first pitch 1

first pitch 2

John

Chris H
    BPL Member

@nxp

Locale: Upper Midwest

5751150568_455c885861.jpg

5751150756_7d97545fff.jpg

Looks really similar to my setup, but I'm using a 10×12 in a flying A-Frame so I've got more room to hang out under in the rain.

With yours, maybe pick up some light shock cord so you can open your net up a bit (attach it to the 2nd guy point back from the edge).

C

Edit – image tags don't work here?

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Use the 'Insert Image at Cursor' button at top right.

john parker
    BPL Member

@orclwzrd

Locale: Illinois

this is an "oh, that's how that works" post. I got the tarp pitch right this time! I'm a slow learner. but got the ridge line taught by tacking out the sides last. Once I did it, it was a duh but doing is a great teacher! Thanks for all the feed back!

John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools