Topic

Coconut milk vs regular milk

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Coconut milk vs regular milk

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Okay all you nutrition types out there (in here?), is there a reason I wouldn't want to substitute coconut milk for regular milk? I've always wanted to find a substitute, but find almond/hemp milk just too plain watery, and soy/rice milk too unpleasant taste wise. I haven't had coconut milk, but I do like the taste of coconut meat. Don't know anything about coconut milk, really.

So is it a lot higher in calories/fat? How's the taste (I'm gonna pick up a container and find that out for myself as well). Is it as watery as almond/hemp milk? Any reason I shouldn't just start using it instead of regular milk?

Thanks for any insights.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I mostly drink a mix of almond and coconut milks these days. The consistency of both varies some by brand (some are watery while others are creamy). Both are lower calorie than cow milk but also contain a lot less protein and sugar. Fat is about the same with the coconut versus 2% milk but it's a healthy sat fat.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Are you talking about at home drinking?

Have you had Silk brand of Almond? Oh wow. I am addicted to it!! It is not think unlike the others :-)

Anyhow the coconut is good – Silk's is good, as is So Delicious.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Are you talking about at home drinking?"

Yeah, just replacing cow's milk altogether.

Thanks for the insights Chris and Sarah, I'll give them a try!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I'd also add that the refrigerated brands are always better tasting than the shelf stable stuff :-)

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

I'm a fan of Vanilla Silk Coconut http://www.silkpurecoconut.com/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools