Topic

Imusa grease pot heavier than I thought.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
PostedMay 21, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Hey folks,

I just picked up an Imusa 1.5L grease pot at Walmart for $7. It comes with a lid and (according to the label on the shrink wrap) a strainer. It weighs in at 8.7 ounces on my scale. I was expecting something lighter. The 44 ounce Imusa mug at End to End Trail Supply is only 3.7 ounces, but that's without out a lid and strainer. This looks to be about 0.125" wider and 1.5" taller (5.75"). It also has a small pour spout.

I'm torn. I was looking for that lighter weight Imusa mug, but I can see a use for a larger pot with matching lid. After pitching the strainer and replacing the knob, maybe the weight will be down in the 6 ounce range. Not bad for a pot big enough for three people. And at $7, I'm not out a whole lot of money.

PostedMay 21, 2011 at 11:32 pm

So whadaya think? Keep it? Or take it back and order the mug?

Here's a pic:Imusa grease pot

Konrad . BPL Member
PostedMay 22, 2011 at 12:04 am

Ken, that's not the walmart grease pot that's beloved by the cheap UL community. I know, the naming is similar and confusing, but the real deal is a lighter and better (wider base). If you can't find it locally, you can get them at end2end.

http://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Stanco_Greasepot.html

They are $7.50 from his store.

I think the stanco grease pot or the imusa 12cm is the way to go. I have the 12cm, and it's huge…only for group trip use. Unfortunately, it looks like George is out of stock on them right now.

It's also possible to remove the handle from the IMUSA mugs. You might have to reset the rivet after removal though. Mine sprung a leak after I removed the handle, but it was easy to hammer the rivet to patch the hole…works like new again. JB weld would probably work just as well. The handles suck IMO. They get way too hot to handle, and make packing difficult. You're better off using a dedicated pot lifter, or installing a wire bale. If you're keen on keeping the handle, a lightweight solution would be to use gloves, or wrap the handle in fiberglass wick. Fiberglass wick is a great insulator and you can handle the pot without gloves. But again its fiberglass, and there are stories of people getting fibers stuck in their eye, skin etc. Never happened to me, but it's a known risk.

David Drake BPL Member
PostedMay 22, 2011 at 8:04 am

Hi Ken,
I've posted this elsewhere, but you may find it helpful.

I have a Stanco grease pot–it hold 3+ cups, and weighs essentially the same as my SP 600 mug (both without lid). About 5.5" diameter by 3" high. With a MYOG flashing lid, the grease pot comes in at 3 oz. The aluminum is pretty thin, but nothing like a Heiny or Fosters pot, and the rolled lip makes it feel sturdy enough. In my experience, the Stanco's wide base works better than my SP mug for either the Super Cat or full-size penny stove I sometimes use.

Apparently Kmart sometimes carries the Stanco pot. It's also in the wholesale supply catalog used by True Value hardware stores. To get mine, I went to my local True Value hardware and had them special order one–less than $7, and no shipping or order charge.

PostedMay 23, 2011 at 8:57 pm

As a scouter and family man, I never camp with fewer than three people (three or four adult leaders crewing together, or me and my three kids). My current cook kit (GSI Bugaboo Medium) has 1.5L and 2L pots. I love it, but I want something lighter. So if I really have my heart set on the Imusa 44 ounce mug (and I think I do), where can I get one? E2E is out of stock, and my local Wally World doesn't carry them.

Thanks,
Ken

PostedMay 23, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Open Country has a 1.5 liter aluminum pot at 8 ounces.

Available at REI. $13.95.

Backpack Jack BPL Member
PostedMay 23, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Ken, if you really want one, I can check our Walmart to see if thay have any left, and I can mail it to you. Let me know, Jack
ps: post here or email me at
ielliot1@bak.rr.com

PostedMay 23, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Thanks for that link Konrad, didn't know where to find these right now.
I need a new short/wide pot and I'm definitely not feeling $50+ for titanium.
I'm also outfitting a few students right now; $7.50 for a Stanco + .49 cents for a can of Fancy Feast and we're in business!

PostedMay 24, 2011 at 6:17 am

Ken, you can often find IMUSA stuff at groceries that serve the hispanic market. Also Amazon has 10 of the 12cm left:

PostedMay 24, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I have and love the Imusa Grease Pot for group trips. But mine is alot lighter than yours.

Most of the weight in the Imusa pot is in 2 places: 1) the handle, which is thick Al, very heavy, and 2) the knob on the lid.

Remove both pieces and you'll save a couple of ounces. I think mine weighs around 6oz. I replaced the knob with a little piece of guyline with knots on either side of the hole.

Dale Crandall BPL Member
PostedMay 24, 2011 at 9:54 pm

This is too much pot for one person, but great for 2 or 3. Here is an earlier post of mine about it. Since the post, I took Javan’s good advice to replace the knob with a little guyline loop. I like the handle, so I kept that.

Link to post

Dale C

PostedMay 26, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Jack,

Thanks for the offer, but I think I’m going to order a couple from Amazon. That gives me the added excuse of ordering another $18 worth of toys to avoid the shipping charges. $6 shipping on a $4 mug is absurd, and this is my chance to throw that whole “but I’m SAVING us money” excuse back at the wife! HA!

By the way, if you’re curious whether your local store has any in stock, here’s the link to the Wal-Mart page where you can put in your zip code. Turns out there are no stores in or near St. Louis that carry them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/IMUSA-Aluminum-Mug/15040696

P.S. If anyone has any other suggested Amazon gear purchases under $20, please holler!

Thanks, folks!
Ken

PostedJun 7, 2011 at 9:22 pm

My pair of Imusa 12cm mugs got here! 3.7 ounces on my scale, and just like the ones in the pictures I've seen in these forums. Unfortunately, it came a day late for my weekend trip. Now it's going to have to wait a few weeks for trail testing.

In the meantime, I would like to mark the mug off at 1-cup intervals. I'm thinking of just popping in a few divets from the outside so they can be seen on the inside. Any reason not to do this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Loading...