Topic

Anybody own the New Exped Synmat UL7?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anybody own the New Exped Synmat UL7?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I have been using the trekker wide torso model of the neo air. I wish to goodness others would adopt that size.

Its about 16 oz and I carry a 1/8 full length pad to go under it for a bit more warmth and something for my feet. I will drop that foam pad in summer.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

I concur the pumpsack is 1.5oz, but it isn't very waterproof as a stuff sack. As a stuff sack it is just okay.

An Instflator would probably also work with some modifications. Those weigh about 1.7oz, however, again they are kind of a one use item.

Dan Momii
    Spectator

@danmomii

Locale: Santa Cruz County, CA

Hi,

Just wondering who is using the Exped dry bag pump and how well is it working for them? Thanks.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Just got my synmat UL after sending in my 4? yr old synmat non ul for repair of a very slow leak that could not be fixed. They were out of stock till june and offered a downmat which was a step up if I wanted it sooner I said how bout a synmatUL he said no problem. Two weeks exactly from my post office to my doorstep. I really didnt think that I would like the new mat and fill valves as well as the old mat but found I like it better and its 1/2 the weight. Im very happy with the new mat not sure yet on warmth or durability but it seems very well made and just as if not more comfy and a very nice feeling surface Very happy with the outstanding service

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, I agree. I had an old Serius tent that broke two sections of poles. They sent me two poles and new stakes in three weeks. And, they fixed the breakage problem.

Dan Momii
    Spectator

@danmomii

Hi everybody,

I just bought a Synmat and want to get some more feedback from people out their using theirs. Their likes and dislikes etc. Thanks.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Dan, two more nights on the Synmat and lovin' it more than ever. Never had a better night's sleep in the backcountry.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have 4 nights on snow in the mid 20's temps and was fine. This was combined with a 16oz quilt and a 1/4" CCF pad. It was just barely warm enough without the CCF but since I was on snow I brought it along just in case it wasn't. With a warmer bag it most likely would have been fine but I was wanting to push the limits of some new gear, including the UL7.

I would love a 24" wide version in the shorter length pad but opted to get the MED and still use my pack as a pillow. This places the pad at the end of the shelter so it can't move any lower and I don't have to adjust anything in the night.

Overall I really like it and may pick up the UL downmat next year if it can beat out my Kookabay pad in the weight department and still maintain an R6 or better.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

sounds like its inline with the NeoAir in terms of warmth? Or does it feel more like a Prolite4/Plus?

NW Hiker
    Spectator

@king2005ify

Hi all,

I have used both, and ultimately am sticking with Neoair for several reasons:

-Neoair is made in Seattle WA (Exped = China)
    -Neoair uses side to side baffles instead of lengthwise. This is the key reason as side to side conforms to your body, lengthwise bounces down the entire pad with every movement, giving the "pool toy" feel to sleep
    -Exped's raised tubes on the sides make the mat feel 6 inches smaller when laying on the side, as it "corrals" you into the middle
    -Neoair quality is much higher IMO, the Exped mat I had developed a leak on the 1st trip (outer weld), the neoair that I have has lasted over a year now, has been used in my chair and raft, and is going strong. Plus if it EVER has an issue, I can simply drive up to the factory service window here in Seattle and have it repaired or replaced for free
    – Neoair is of course lighter, and the warmth rating has never been an issue…I have camped in the snow, high 20's and had no cold spots

Again, these are my opinions, just wanted to share with others

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks for sharing Todd. I much prefer the Synmat over the NeoAir that I had. First – the NeoAir leaked; the Synmat has proven far more durable. The NeoAir is functionally narrower because of the rounded ends. It is also much cooler than the Synmat (the warmth of this pad continues to amaze me).

As far as quality – I would rank Exped as the Hilleberg of pads and the NeoAir closer to what you would expect from a mainstream offering. Maybe Eureka?

But again – only my opinions.

Dan Momii
    Spectator

@danmomii

Hi guys,

Thanks for your continued feedback, I will be taking the Synmat on a overnighter soon. Hope it is an improvement over the Neo Air.

Kevin Harper

@hike500

Locale: Southwest

I would agree that the Neoair is the Eureka of sleeping pads compare to the Exped.

Justin R
    Spectator

@5150bronco

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.

Hi Barb,

why would you use seam seal on the bottom? Thanks.

I think I am going to pull the trigger on this one instead of the peak ac pad.

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

>> why would you use seam seal on the bottom?

Silicone seam sealer lightly drizzled or beaded on the bottom of the pad acts as non-slip traction to keep your pad from sliding off your ground sheet (or into the wall on your tent) when camped at a slight angle.

Ryan McCabe
    BPL Member

@3tree

FWIW, I found a piece of tygon tubing that works great with an Instaflator and the UL7… outer diameter 7/8 inches, and inner diameter I think was 5/8 inches. It fits in the Exped snug and stays there while inflating. Works like a charm!

Sean B
    Spectator

@seanba

I'm also in the market and I noticed a few things:

The Synmat UL 7 uses 20 denier nylon, the NeoAir uses 30 denier nylon. This should give the NeoAir the advantage in puncture protection. With either pads I bet the early air leaks have more to do with manuf quality control then shorter then expected service life.

The Synmat UL 7 has a 2 year warranty, the NeoAir has a lifetime warranty. It sounds like the UL 7 is a great pad but the short warranty is a bit concerning.

Justin R
    Spectator

@5150bronco

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.

I see. that is really good idea. would you just do this in general?

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

Commenting here on Ryan's original opening post for this thread:

Ryan mentioned using Tygon tubing, but I thought I try something a bit more common, so I picked up a chunk of 7/8'' o.d. (about 22mm, I don't know what sizes are common in metric) vinyl tubing from my local friendly hardware store, and it works quite nicely to adapt the Instaflator to work with the Exped's air inlet.

My chunk of tubing was kinda flattened into an oval cross-section, as it had been taken from the innermost wrap of a nearly empty reel, so I pitched a 2'' chunk into boiling water for a few minutes to let it relax back into shape.

The Instaflator's outlet fits snugly inside the tubing, and the tubing's o.d. is just right to snug tightly into the mattress's inlet.

Easy as cake. Thanks, Ryan!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

It weighs 16.8 ounces instead of 16.2!

NOOooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!!!…..

David Ure

@familyguy

Did you blow it up first, let it deflate, and then weigh it?

Mine was right at 16 oz.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I just unpackaged it and weighed it, I even ripped off all tags possible.

The mat and stuff sack together weigh 16.8
    , the sack weighs .2oz.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools