Topic

4 pass loop Aspen snow estimates?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 4 pass loop Aspen snow estimates?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matt Edwards

@matpedw

Hi all,
    I have some time off work July 7 through 11th this year. We planned a trip for 4 pass loop but I am concerned the passes may still be snowed in this year. I live in Denver so I am aware of the heavy snowfall this spring. Just not sure how heavy translates in July. Any estimates or guesses if the passes will be passable? We'll have some novices in the group so the overall snow skill of the group is questionable. Perheps any alternatives or back up plans for that time of year? I was trying to convince some out of towners to come up. I would hate to dissapoint them.

Thanks

Matt

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Matt:

I attempted the loop in early July of 2008. That was also a heavy snow year. I was solo, and did not feel comfortable crossing the creeks (which were high), and the passes held quite a bit of snow. I went back in 2009, and did the loop. Below is what Buckskin Pass looked like on 14 July 2008.

Buckskin Pass

Matt Edwards

@matpedw

Thank you!
    That's exactly what I was afraid of. I'll start looking for alternatives.

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools