Topic

first gear list of a BPL newbie!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists first gear list of a BPL newbie!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Drew Thompson

@dthompson1309

Locale: NorCal

So here is it, my proposed gear list for this summer and early fall. Obviously I'll be adjusting some items based on weather and location, but this is sort of my baseline weekend kit for northern California and Oregon where I spend most of my time. I didn't include worn clothing or consumables just because they vary a lot for me and I'm just trying to get some opinions on my packed items. Can't wait for some input!

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=3276

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

I worked for years to get to this point so you are doing great. Here is the only changes I would make:

Get rid of the z-rest sit pad, cut down the z rest to a torso pad, and then use your pack with your 'new' z-rest torso pad to make a complete pad.

I did this for the first time in Montana last May on the BPL Scout Leader training course. We saw some wind and rain, it was good.

I guess I didn't see you beenie?

Justin C
    BPL Member

@paintballr4life

Locale: East Coast

Your list looks great. Here's a couple of ideas with out spending money on lighter gear.

1. Leave behind the pot and use the mug to cook in. (if you do the freezer bag cooking method)

2. Trim some of the weight off of your Jam pack.

3. Nix the Z-Lite sit pad.

4. This idea requires spending money but you could get a lighter bear cord than what you have. Check out the cord they sell here at BPL.

Drew Thompson

@dthompson1309

Thanks for the ideas so far!

I'm definitely planning to cut down the lengthy straps at some point but I just want to wait and do a couple trips to see how much length I need. ( I just got the pack )

I'm also planning to upgrade my "heavy" bear cord, but it can definitely wait until the next paycheck or when I can bundle it with another online order. :)

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

NIX either the mug or the pot, no need for both.

Why 3 liters of water capacity? Just take the 2 liter platy.

30 oz is too much for a JAM pack. Get the scissor to and trim it down!

NIX the "clothing sack" and the "sleeping bag stuff sack" and simply replace with a 2.2 liter trash compactor bag for weight saving and FULL waterproofing.

Replace the TENT with a TARP for 20 oz in saving.

NIX the sit pad

Add a little bit of soap.

NIX the pack towel.

REPLACE the knife with a 0.1 oz razor blade.

REPLACE the 3oz headlamp with something lighter.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

List looks really good. I don't have really anything to add to the suggestions from above. For the bear line though, I went to Rope and Knot Supply and just went ahead and bought 180 ft of the 2.2mm zing it. It is more than you need but only costs $25 and gives you spare cord for everything else you could need it for. My 50' cut weighed in at 1.1 oz I think. It isn't quite as strong as BPL's rope (holds 300 lbs instead of 650), but it is strong enough for your bear bag.

http://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/Zing-it-2-2-mm-x-180-p358.htm

Drew Thompson

@dthompson1309

Mike: I bring two platy's and cycle back and forth between them so that as one is purified for the full 3-4 hours of the micropur tabs, I can be drinking from the other. I don't fill the 2l platy all the way unless I'm at camp or about to reach camp.

Chris: Thanks for the link to that rope! Looks like a good deal for some lighter kit.

Any suggestions on a lighter headlamp? I've tried using just a micro led (sim to photon freedom) but I really prefer a headlamp.

And unless I move to a tarp I'm keeping that pack towel on hand to wipe down the inside of the tent in the mornings when condensation rears its ugly head. :P

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Headlamp:

I use a Cyclops Atom. 1 oz, can find for less than $10. Nothing special, prob. not suitable for night hiking–it has a pretty tight focused beam. I rarely need a light and when I do the Atom works just fine. Can be clipped on a hat brim, in additional to use as headlamp.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Drew,

NIX the MicroPour TABS and use AquaMira. This eliminates the rediculously long wait time. Thus, you can elimnate all that extra water on your back.

NIX the towel and get a tarp!

The Petzl e+lite is under and oz, and highly recommended (by me).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools