Topic

NEW Klymit X Frame XL in the MLD Store- Lower Intro Price

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals NEW Klymit X Frame XL in the MLD Store- Lower Intro Price

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

New product in the MLD store.

The Klymit X Frame XL- 16oz.

Intro Price of $115. ($15 off the reg price)

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=178

This is the big sister to the 9oz X Frame- It's Wider-Longer-Thicker and Warmer.

The edges are taller and the cahnbers are slanted inward to help keep you on the pad all night vs rolling off the edge of uni-thickness horizontal tube pads.

Compare these pads the NeoAir and you will see they are less expensive, lighter, smaller to pack, far more puncture resistant and quiet and plenty comfy.

We have had many customers tell use they like the X Frames much better than their NeoAirs – even the ones without punctures.

The regular size X Frame is also on sale $10 off for limited time.xlframe

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Ron

Does it come with a Light Sabre?

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Cheers

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

What's the r value of these pads?

I slept on a non insulated air pad in 38 degrees two weeks ago and was not happy.

Went back to the neo air and was fine.

Love the weight of this but need to see at least a 2 r out of it

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Maybe this is the wrong place for this, but how is this pad warmer than the regular X frame? All the literature I've read says that any air space between 0.5" and 4" thick effectively has an R-value of 1.0. So just because it's thicker doesn't mean it's any warmer. If anything, this pad appears to have less cutouts for a sleeping bag to loft down into, so to me it appears cooler if anything for sleeping bag users and the same for quilt users.

I'm open to the idea of cutouts in a sleeping pad and I like how small these roll up and how few breaths they take to inflate. I just keep hoping they'll find a way to boost the R-value higher than 1.0 to make a true 3 season pad. If you crunch the cost and weight numbers, using their nobletek gas isn't a feasible way to do this. I'd love to see NeoAir style baffling / heat reflectors.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Anyone know how much is between you and the ground?

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Roger: It will fit in a Tunnel Tent – so you are all set.

Other Comments:

I don't have a set R value for it. It is a new design lightweight pad and so maybe a set R value does not apply the same since the cutouts are used differently from other traditionally designed pads. -Maybe around R1.5 sounds about right for the X frame and maybe a hair higher for the XL version without as many cutouts. Both are about 1" – 1.5" thick.

I think its more use to refer to user reports as a comfort guide rather than trying to make it a math question. I do know that using them alone on the ground with a bag down to the upper 40's is fine and those temps are the majority of nights for most hikers – YMMV.

I do use a Good Night EVA 1/8" 1.5oz foam mat under it down to about 40 and a 1/4" 3.5 oz mat down to about 30 is fine. (foam pads serve as the ground sheet too.) Both set ups still keep the weight fairly low for that much comfort. The added EVA pads could be trimmed / shaped to whatever length you need to trim weight, etc.

Of course it is not a harsh winter pad – nor is any other non insulated inflatable.

Thanks for the questions.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"…far more puncture resistant…"

What makes it more puncture resistant?

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

The bottom is a fairly tough 75d material.

The top is a 30d.

The lighter versions of the NeoAir are 30d top and bottom.

Also, do to the design, there is a lot less mat on the ground to get punctured especially in the lighter X Frame.

Dave T

@davet

It's good to see H.R. Giger working again.

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

Is this at comfortable for a side-sleeper? Just thought I'd ask…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools