Topic

Marmot Ion-discontinued?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Marmot Ion-discontinued?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Locale: Colorado

I just called marmot to order an Ion windshirt and the lady told me they no longer make it. Is this old news? So does that leave me with the Patagonia Houdini. I wanted more of an athletic cut, than the loose cut of the houdini.

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

Hello JT. To the best of my knowledge the Marmot Ion will remain in the Marmot product line for 2007. You maybe having trouble locating one as 2006 models are selling out and 2007 models have yet to be unleashed. The only expected change for 2007 is a big time price cut and maybe some different colors. If you are interested I have a brand new tags still attached Ion windshirt size XL in burnt orange that I am willing to sell at a reasonable price. If you are interested hit me up at [email protected]

Colin Kelley

@ckelley

Locale: Santa Barbara

backcountry.com still has the 2006 Ion in all colors, all sizes, on sale for $70 … with free shipping! I picked one up earlier this season and am happy with it. It’s made of Pertex Quantum with DWR which makes it more rain resistant but less breathable than the Montane Featherlite/Litespeed that are made of Pertex Microlite. (The latter is mostly Microlite anyway.)

The most interesting feature of the Ion is that the arms are articulated and snug to minimize flapping.
    http://www.backcountry.com/store/MAR0372/Marmot-Ion-Windshirt-Mens.html?id=PQDtI8No

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

I’ll beat that price!

Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Locale: Colorado

Jeffery,
    Sounds like a great deal but I need a Medium. Thanks for the offer. I called Marmot again because the Ion is still on their website and they told me that it will be taken off when they run out of inventory. So anyone know if they are making a new version?

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

At the time of this Posting, there are

1 black medium available in Backcountry.com inventory

4 electric blue medium available in Backcountry.com inventory

2 burnt (reddish color) medium available in Backcountry.com inventory

Act Fast.

[Edit: other sizes are available. 28 total in inventory when i first posted.]

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I thought I had the lightest full zip windshirt in the Montbell Windblaster. Just ordered my Ion which is about half the weight. Good tip guys, thanks. These days I only replace my gear if the new item is about 1/2 the old weight or less while still meeting the same performance requirements. I just was spending too much on incremental gains.. wow a 5 lb pack!(buy).. wow a 4 lb pack!(buy).. etc..

Brett .

@brett1234

..lightest full zip HOODED wind shirt (I would have gotten a lot of replies about lighter non-hooded ones no doubt!)

Joseph Rothstein

@joe_r

Campmor has the Ion in red (all sizes) for $55.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I just picked one up from Campmor last week and used it on a fairly soggy and warm (for November) trip. The fit is very close-cut. I think a large would fit most mediums comfortably.

I’m pleased for the weight and price. It held up well in light to medium rain standing around camp for over two hours. Breathability was good while hiking in 55-60 degrees & high humidity. I started to overwhelm the fabric on uphill climbs but the full zip helped. It dries in a flash.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I asked my local dealer, and he said the Marmot catalog shows the Ion in their 2007 line, but in a new fabric. Dunno the price.

Brett .

@brett1234

Well my Ion arrived (Marmot, not OR), and it really runs small. Im 5`9.5" and 165lbs. The waist line is high, at the belt line, and it is cut really trim. Im exchanging it for a L so I can layer it over a 100wt fleece. I suppose the cut is just what a runner would want, as mentioned in other posts, but I need more room for this backpacking application.
    As for the features of the jacket, I like the full zip (unlike the OR ion), and having a pocket is useful. Interestingly, the weight on my M was 3.3oz, not 3 oz as advertized. Maybe 3 is for the S.
    Ill edit this post after I evaluate the performance of the Large.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Brett:

Reading your post above about spending money continuously on incremental gains… I feel for you. However, know that you are in good company, as this gram-shaving infatuation affects pretty much all of us around here… and it just doesn't help when folks keep posting about holiday gear deals! :(

paul johnson

@pj

Brett,

I purchased one also. Size M. My last suit was a tailored 40XS (extra-short) suit size (which was a bit tight in the chest, but couldn't return it or get it let out very much) – sort of a jumbo dwarf wide body. The Marmot Ion hooded windshirt simply won't fit. Waist just a tad too tight over clothing and a sweater. I could begin zipping it by sucking in the old gut, but it would never zip at my chest. If i could drop my weight back to my youthful powerlifting competition weight (123lb/56kg weight class), i'm sure i could handle the waist, but still the chest would be a problem – had a six-pack then; i'm working on a half-keg now!!!.

Too bad i can't get a Lg (they only had M which is my normal size), so i'm probably going to just give it to my wife. She's taller than me, but only 102lb, so it should fit her fine.

I wonder if they are using Japanese sizing like Montbell in which i normally get a L for Japanese sized jackets?

BT, ni hao ma? hao jiu bu jian. ni ming bai wo de yi si ma?

John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

What do you think of a 6.0 ft. guy weighing in at 210 lbs. wearing a Marmot Ion XL? It sounds like it would be short, tight and not fit properly. What does the BPL coummunity think. I am often penalized in the UL arena do to my size and weight.

paul johnson

@pj

John,

i'm too far removed fr/an XL to really know, but unless their sizing takes a quantum leap forward, i'd agree with your sizing concerns.

If someone my diminutive size would be better off with a large (particularly for layering over just a couple of layers), then i don't see how you could fit into an XL. I never take a L except in Japanese size garments (i.e., SOME of the Montbell garments).

Of course, i don't know how much larger a L is than a M in the Marmot Ion. It could be that the L is sized more appropriately for a Western physique. I'd say that the M seems to be sized one size down as compared to US sizing, so the M is more like a small.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

I'm 6'0" and 200lbs. I have a large and it fits tight on me but not overly so. I don't think I could layer it over a bulky fleece. The cuffs are especially tight and it takes a bit of tugging to get it over my wristwatch but I'm sure that's the way the Ion is designed. The hem drops to just below my belt line with not much additional coverage. I'd say an XL would probably fit you similarly, if not a little looser. For me, the close fit is ideal but some might find it offputting.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"Reading your post above about spending money continuously on incremental gains… I feel for you. However, know that you are in good company, as this gram-shaving infatuation affects pretty much all of us around here…"

The simple solution for this is to hike more and wear the stuff out so you can buy the newer, lighter stuff with a clear conscience :)

I don't which costs more– the gear or the marriage counseling! There is a Guitar Center store right next to an REI store in my area. I've been promising to take a digital photo and Photoshop a storefront for a divorce lawyer in the space between :)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I really "hate it" when folks offer simple and logical solutions!!! :)

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

John,

I just got my Ion jacket from Campmor (ugly color, but only $55). I am 6-2 and 205, with a 44 inch chest, and the XL fits me just fine. It does have a very short length and a close-fitting hood, but the sleeves are long enough, which is unusual in off the rack clothing.

I learned my lesson from my Marmot DriClime jacket. All the specs say that a Large should fit, but the XL is much better.

Hope this helps.

–Ken B

John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

I think I'm going to try the XL. Thanks!

Brett .

@brett1234

pj, Campmor still has the Large Ion in red for 55 if you hurry; that's where I just bought my replacement. You could sell your M here at BPL.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

John,

You can also get the Ion on sale at
    backcountry.com

They are $70 on sale but you get free shipping. They also have the XL Ion in Black and Electric – a blue color. I paid the small extra amount and got a size Large in Black. My size large weighs 3.47 ounces.

John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Bill, thanks for the info. Black soounds better than the burnt red.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Maybe I'm pigmentally-challeged but I happen to like that burnt red color! It did also give me a little extra peace of mind while hiking through state forest lands this hunting season.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools