Topic

Older Dana Designs Pack fit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Older Dana Designs Pack fit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

My 2000 Dana Designs Terraplane X pack has been a little abused and tweaked over the past few years and doesn't fit right anymore. I just got back from a week long skiing/mountaineering trip in Wyoming and my hips and shoulders were SORE (misery level of sore). My pack weighed about 48 pounds. I know this weight is within the rated carrying capacity of the pack and I know my fitness level is appropriate for that load. My shoulders and hips should NOT have been that sore during this trip. I expected soreness, but the pack was obviously not fitting correctly anymore. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or info. about re-adjusting the maze of straps, buckles, and stays on this pack. I contacted Mystery Ranch about fitment and they referred me to Marmot, who no longer even makes a pack in this volume or design. A short disclaimer: I only use this pack for winter climbing trips where my pack weight is 40+ pounds. For everything else I use an ultralight pack. Thanks for any input.

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

I still use a number of DD Arcflex packs for heavy loads as well… primarily because they can handle 50 pounds without destroying my shoulders. However, unless I use the packs very often, the wide, stiff hipbelts do rub my hips raw.

I have noticed that the DD hipbelts tend to loosen and slip after a few hours- they need to be re-tightened often. This is one area where modern hipbelts like Osprey's are better than DD packs.

I tried to scan the fit directions from my packs. Sorry it is in two parts. Let me know if it is unreadable, I will try again if so.
    Fit guide

DD fit guide 2

Edit: Ok, I could have done that better… it is supposed to be a single page and I ought to have demarcated the sections better. Apologies

Ty Reidenbaugh

@the_will

Locale: Southern California

Did you loosen the load-lifter straps and the straps on the side of the hipbelt everytime you took the pack off?…so that when you put the pack back on you could first, adjust the hipbelt and shoulder straps before engaging the arc-flex stays via the load-lifter and side hipbelt straps?

When I haven't ridden my bike in a long time my tail is sore at the end of the ride and still sore the next couple of days…so riding the next few days is even worse than the initial ride. This is isn't a one-to-one correlation but I wonder if it might be similiar–just adjusting to that much weight and that pack after not wearing it for so long.

Other than that I don't have a clue.

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

That's a good point about sequence of adjustments: I usually loosen everything (but make sure the internal strap is taught)then slightly tension the load lifters and shoulder straps just to give them some structure.

Put pack on, tighten hipbelt… then I slightly tension the hipbelt straps that attach to the stays. Slightly snug shoulder straps, then load lifters… keep doing both in micro adjustments until I like the feel. Usually, the shoulder strap will not be touching me in the back. I tighten the load lifters so much that it lifts the strap… which every DD dealer tells (told) me not to do.

Then, attach the sternum strap… which when tightened can put some pressure on the chest, so you might readjust the shoulder straps.

DD packs require some fooling with, but work well once dialed in.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Thanks Michael. That was exactly what I needed. I used to have the same manual but it became lost over the eleven years I have owned the pack.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools