Topic

Dry Bag Camera Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Dry Bag Camera Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

Here is simple project to make foam paddling for a camera to fit inside a dry bag. It weighs 3.5 oz instead of the 9 oz Lowe bag that I was using. There is velcro inside the bag to hold it in place when I am hiking and don't want to have the dry bag closure buckled. I carry the camera from its neck strap. I shortened the dry bag by using duct tape inside. I duct taped the foam seams together. I will probably end up sewing the velcro to the bag as it is not stickiing too well to the inside coated fabric of the dry bag. There is a cord from the bag clipped to the camera to let it hang when taking a photo. bag being wornpartsopening

Stephen Hoefler
    BPL Member

@talusterrapin

Locale: Happily wandering

Thanks for posting this!

I really like the set up and I've got (almost) the same camera so I think I'll give this a try.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Scott, what is the approximate weight of the camera and lens that goes inside?

I'm more concerned about impact resistance than I am about weatherproofness.

–B.G.–

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

Bob,
    I thought of this project because I was carrying the camera in a LowePro case and carrying the drybag in my pack in case of rain or stream crossings. Redundancy. The camera is an Olympus e620 (Four thirds type) and weighs 1 lbs 12 oz. with the 14-42 lens. This padding is 1/4 inch ensolite (maybe evasote?), so I wouldn't want to drop it and depend on the foam to protect it. The main exposure in my mind would be brushing against rocks and bushes, or if I tripped and fell. I think the padding will be sufficient for that. Maybe I'll add more padding on the bottom.- Scott

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I wish that I could scale this concept up to meet my needs. Currently what I carry on the trail is a camera gear total load of 10.5 pounds, of which 1.9 pounds is the LowePro case.

–B.G.–

Eddie Rivera
    BPL Member

@eddieruko

I really like this idea… I've been considering making a new, light weight bag to carry my dslr and an extra lens. It seems like the heaviest portion of the bag is the packcloth-like fabric they use, and the extraneous zippers, hw, etc.

Especially when I'm bpackin, I really don't enjoy the weight of camera gear around my neck. I've had success with replacing the strap of my LowePro bag with carabiners, which I can hook to the ladderlocks on my shoulder straps. The camera strap I drape over my neck. This way it's always accessible for trail shots, and I can quickly cover it or zip it up for wet crossings. I've always been fearful of slipping, getting my gear wet, and screaming obscenities along the way. Some loops of grosgrain or even extra sil layin around sounds like a wonderful addition. I like it!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools