Topic

Help me plan a 3 or 4 day backpacking trip – I live in Denver!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Help me plan a 3 or 4 day backpacking trip – I live in Denver!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Gerty

@michael-gerty

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me plan a 3 or 4 day backpacking trip for this week. I live in Denver. Where should I go? Canyonlands? Escalante? Zion? Grand Canyon? Somewhere in northern New Mexico (not sure if it is too snowy there)…

I have four full days off work (Saturday through Tuesday, plus I could show up late on Wednesday). All suggestions greatly appreciated!

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Locale: Colorado

Planning a short notice trip to Utah is maybe not the easiest or wisest thing to do but you have several choices there.

Grand Gulch; one of several trips there about 3 days, this is a good place to research some of them; http://www.southwestguidebooks.com/trip_guide_pages/cedar_mesa.htm. Permits are required although you can get walk-in permits on day of trip if you are flexible with your starting TH.

Dark Canyon to the north of Grand Gulch.

White Roost and Robbers Roost Canyon in the Robbers Roost/Dirty Devil River Country. Nice backpacking exploring a couple of the canyons in this group.

The Escalante is another good push beyond these areas but if you OK with driving that far for a 3 day trip then that opens things up further, lots of trips out there.

Northern New Mexico is generally snow free right now except at the highest altitudes and shaded/treed slopes. I don't have any specific trips here to suggest other than I know Bandalier N.M. is lower altitude and the Jemez mountains nearby are as well.

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

I think the LCW (Lost Creek Wilderness) may also be relatively snow free from what recent reports I've seen.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

You'll love Coyote Gulch. Just going to the campsite with the "Arena" (gigantic C-shaped overhang with a solar composting toilet just 100 yards downstream) and back to the trailhead will give you a 4 day trip in spectacularly beautiful rock formations.

Good cold drinking water in the canyon wall "seeps" along the creek.

Be prepared to do a lot of walking in the water. Aquatic shoes and camp shoes are the best combo.

BTW, apply for a BLM permit ahead of time.

Mike Gerty

@michael-gerty

Thanks for the suggestions – keep them coming!

Aaron, could you point me to a recent TR that describes conditions in the Lost Creek Wilderness?

Has anyone done the Woodenshoe – Peavine Loop in the Dark Canyon Wilderness in Utah?

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

Go to the Needles district in Canyonlands National Park. I can get there in 8hrs from my house in Littleton. There is an endless amount of trails, lots of loops available and unreal scenery. Get in the car, stop at the grocery in Moab and get the hell out there.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I haven't done the Woodenshoe/Peavine loop (definitely on my list) but I've been in lower Dark Canyon a couple times and it's an awesome area. Water would probably be easier than Needles right now. Needles is a great as well and the cool weather makes it doable right now. Robbers Roost is also a great suggestion and probably offers the best solitude of what's been mentioned.

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

If you go to the Needles district you will be at the mercy of the backpacking reservation permit system, no guarantees on what you could get but you could very likely get something.

The LCW had been relatively snow free up to treeline but recent snows have been lower. There will be snow but from what I have heard from climbers not a trip preventer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools