Topic

Moment vs. Double Rainbow for solo use

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Moment vs. Double Rainbow for solo use

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    RVP
    BPL Member

@tunaboy999-2

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I’m looking for a single wall tent that opens to the side and does not require trekking poles. The top two contenders right now are the Tarptent Moment and Double Rainbow. (I am not considering the Rainbow as I think the dual entry, better ventilation, and size of the DR is worth the 7 oz weight penalty).

Now, I know that these are really two very different tents. In my mental equation, the weight of the Moment edges out the size and views of the DR.

However, condensation could tilt the balance the other way. Given the size and ventilation of the DR, would it be considerably better in terms of condensation than the Moment when used solo? I mostly camp in Pennsylvania and the Colorado Rockies.

RVP

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I have owned and used both tents. I sold the DR to get the Moment. I can't definitively say that I had less condensation with one or the other.

The second door offers a lot more ventilation, not to mention views, in the DR. It also sets up very quickly, and I found it to be less fussy in setup. (Stake the corners, push the pole through, and stake out the vestibules. Easy and fast.) We did have some condensation in the DR with two people, especially in the rain or cold when the vestibules were closed.

For solo hiking, though, I do prefer the Moment. I can raise the side opposite the door for more ventilation, and I can keep the vestibule mostly open even in the rain, as long as the wind is not blowing straight in the door. I get condensation in exactly the sorts of weather conditions that I would expect to cause it, and a simple wipe with a small pack towel takes care of that.

David Ure

@familyguy

Definitely a difference between the single Rainbow and the Moment. I had unmanageable condensation in the Moment which is not the case with the Rainbow. I think if you are over 6ft, there isn't enough room to let the moisture escape by your head and feet in the Moment. But obviously YMMV.

It really just comes down to size. One will generally have less issue managing condensation in a larger single walled area.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools