Topic

Negative weight camp pillow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Negative weight camp pillow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Can a helium balloon replace a pole to hold up the apex of a tent or tarp?

Ryan Friend

@ozarkhiker

Locale: Oklahoma

Sounds good about the new thread. I kind of hijacked this one on accident. As for the balloon as pole. That is a great idea. I think the problem there is the weight on the balloon. It would have to be a big balloon to do it, which would take space out of the tent itself, which would lead to needing a bigger tent, which would lead to a bigger balloon etc. It's a vicious cycle. It would be interesting to see if you can work out a balance. But boy, if that ONE balloon popped… Carrying a cannister of helium or hydrogen would be heavy. A GG LT3 weighs 2.9 oz. Why not just go that way? No intention of bursting your balloon bubble here, just saying. Blowing it up yourself is one thing, but having it be helium or hydrogen is another.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Bill Fornshell used one of the long ones as hoop on a bivy.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"Can a helium balloon replace a pole to hold up the apex of a tent or tarp?"

The necessary bouancy would require a helium 5 to 10 feet in diameter. But could can inflated tent pole be useful?

Yes, a flexible bundle of tubes can be made rigid with a pressurized fluid. Most of the posters on this thread have direct experience with this happening at 90-110 mm Hg (about 2 psig).

I'd suggest, rather than bring a 2 psig pump with you, you design a tube about 20% too long and fold it up so as to pressurize it, or 10% too large in diameter and lace it up to increase the pressure inside. Lacing up something like a blue tarp or Tyvek with latex party balloons inside could give you a very capable pole that is both cheap and light.

Ryan Friend

@ozarkhiker

Locale: Oklahoma

ROFLMAO!!! SO HILARIOUS!!! I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING.

In all seriousness, though, that was a nice lacing/folding idea, David. But now my mind has forever tied it with the other… thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools