Topic

Looking to Backpack a bit near Knoxville, TN any suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Looking to Backpack a bit near Knoxville, TN any suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robert Justice
    BPL Member

@rjustice7

Locale: Central Texas Hill Country

Hey Y'all,

In June I will be visiting my father and younger sister in Tennessee. They live in a very small community known as Sharp's Chapel, just North of Knoxville by about 40 – 45 minutes. It is right next to the Norris Lake/Clinch River area judging by an online topo map.

Any suggestions on where I could put in a good overnighter? At most it would be a 2 night trip, but I don't see that happening. I'd like to take my little sister out on a trip somewhere relatively local. Does anyone know much about the area around the lake?

Thanks so much,

-Rob

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Big South Fork might be a decent option.

Brian Gentry

@treegreen

Knoxville is also very close to Smoky Mountain National Park, for example Cades Cove is about an hour away. Others include places like Frozen Head State Park, Cherokee National Forest, and Big Ridge National Forest. Having grown up in Knoxville I always look forward to getting back into the Smoky Mountains when I have time to visit.

Robert Justice
    BPL Member

@rjustice7

Locale: Central Texas Hill Country

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I won't be up there long enough to get a really good trip in, but doing the research on these areas gives me a lot of future ideas! Especially in the Smoky Mountains National Park or in the Daniel Boone National Forest.

For this trip I'll probably be able to hit Big Ridge as it's only about 15 or so minutes from Sharp's Chapel. Either way I'm going to do some fishing and an overnight somewhere! Maybe I'll find a way to do some canoeing or kayaking in Big Ridge!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Big South Fork is a fun lesser know option. Several good overnight options there.
    Smokies are always nice and so close to Knoxville. You can take I-40 right to Big Creek or Cosby entries. Both are uncrowded and can be reached easily. Both have some really nice hiking options. Out of Cosby there is a nice virgin stand and easy AT ridge access. You can also reach a really cool little tower at Mt. Cammerer. Out of Big Creek the Big Creek walk to Walnut Bottoms is nice and you can head up to the tower at Mt. Sterling.
    Also, from I-40 you can go north on the AT thru Hot Springs and the Max Patch bald.
    Have fun.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools