Topic

Convince me of the merits of gaiters.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Convince me of the merits of gaiters.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I could live without them, but it's easier living w/ them- @ a oz or two (I use the short scree type as well for 3 season use) no real reason to leave them behind, lots of reason to bring them :)

Justin R
    Spectator

@5150bronco

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.

would you guys use these to add to waterproof pants? I would guess gaiters would waterproof boots? Thanks.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

If gaiters are worn over rain paints, I would assume that they are being worn to protect the often-delicate nature of rain paints, not to add to any waterproofing. I don't wear rain pains, but do wear lower gaiters in the rain, with a rain skirt if necessary.
    Depending on the type of gaiter, they can help keep the lower legs dry(er), along with the feet, provided footwear is also water proof/resistant, of course.

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

2nd wearing gaiters and a rain skirt for 3 season. I prefer that to rain pants.
    If you do use waterproof gaiters with rain pants, for maximum water protection wear them under the pants or water can enter the top of the gaiter and run into your footwear. Wearing the pants over the gaiters creates a shingle effect.

Charles Henry

@chuckie_cheese

Locale: Arizona and British Columbia

If you have shoes or boots with a low heel cuff, and you hike for days in scree or lose dirt, it is EXTREMELY useful to have a very light pair of dirty girl gaiters.

If you are working in light powdery snow in winter and again have pants or boots that allow snow to get into your boot, it is important to make sure you have gaiters to prevent snow from entering.

In both these cases, gaiters actually SAVE weight by preventing objects from entering your boots, and can make your backcountry experience dramatically better.

Justin R
    Spectator

@5150bronco

I appreciate the help and clarification.

So gaiters and rain skirt would be one combo to use….?

What is rain skirt?

Gaiters and rain pants too….

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Justin,

"…add to waterproof pants? I would guess gaiters would waterproof boots"?

If you are walking through wet grass due to early morning dew fall or light to moderate rain, "water proof" gaiters added to "water proof" pants over "water proof" boots would probably keep your feet dry.

In what kind of temperatures do you expect to be using this combination of gear?

If the temperature rises your feet and legs will more than likely perspire profusely.

When it comes down to say a creek crossing, no boot is water proof past the top opening where you put your foot into the boot / shoe. If the water goes above the top of the boot or shoe for any length of time your feet will get wet. Gaiters may slow the process but they will not stop it.

Party On,

Newton

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

J. – a rain skirt is just that! Indeed, it's a "wrap" or skirt of some type that one folds/wraps around their waste and provides a level of water resistance/proofing to the legs; skirts can't, or shouldn't be too long or tight, as the fit will influence the hiker's stride. Conditions permitting, a skirt can be a viable alternative to rain paints and can be further complemented with a pair of gaiters.

They're pretty easy to make, which is good for a starter MYOG project, too.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

I have used gaiters to keep deep snow out of my boots. I don't use them for 3-season hiking, including dealing with summer snow in the mountains.

For the CDT I read a convincing post somewhere saying that without gaiters the weed seeds would infest your socks so they were needed. So I carried them and wore them a time or two. Then I stopped wearing them and never missed them and mailed them home.

I think one factor for me is on the western trails I usually wear long pants, either for cold, wind or sun. The pant legs cover my socks for the most part, so I don't have much trouble with weed seeds or pebbles in my shoes. On the AT I usually wore shorts and didn't wear gaiters and again, didn't miss them.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I quit carrying any gaiters. I have two pairs one high, dry and bullit proof AND HEAVY and one pair low non waterproof and light they both have pros and cons and depending on the trip the time of year I might consider taking them again. Alot of good points made about poisen ivy, weeds, RASPBERRY BUSHES, ouch They will keep feet dryer in a lot of situations if the correct ones are used correctly. For most of my mid to late summer trekking out west which seems to be in the wind river range mostly/ lately they will stay home. I dont NEED them. The smokeys in rainy season Id be thinking about it. But then again there are times that I still like to where goretex boots

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Justin R
    Spectator

@5150bronco

Thanks guys for schooling me and educating me on the purposes of it.

I guess one thing is what works when you are hiking in the rain…, is one question.

I wanted to do a hike soon and it will be raining. pack liner & pack cover to water proof backpack. I have jacket now I am looking below now. In the past my boots have been cool, but in down pours they get soaked.

thanks everyone!

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

ID Event Shortie gaiters are nice medium-duty gaiters by UL standards. 2.5 oz the pair for the current version.

They work with big boots, I use them off the trail to keep from having to stop and clean out my boots. Snow, dirt, rocks, sticks.

They are also nice for keeping the bottom of pants dry. If you are snowshoeing for instance, you can often wear plain nylon pants or even jeans with no prob.

No velcro or zipper, so you have to put them on ahead of time.

I am considering the non-ul OR Salamander gaiters for multi-day snow-rain hiking without snowshoes.

Edit: oh yeah, in the "you can live without them" vein, I have some great old nylon jogging pants where I have walked on the hem and the angle cinch elastic came out of the back half, so I just pull it down and around my heel. Voila-dee-dah, works well in all but snow. Someone must make a clip you can attach to pants hems.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I live in the desert and have never had an issue with thorns or debris accumulating in my shoes, even when cross country hiking. I find any thorns I do get are probably long spikes that will completely ignore a gaiter in the first place. If I worry about my legs getting torn up by brush I just wear lightweight pants instead of shorts which is a much simpler system than shorts and long gaiters. Also helps minimize sun exposure.

I've also never turned an ankle so I may just be more mindful of foot placement than most people.

The only time I've had debris fill my shoes was hiking in sand dunes, however with fine sand and the large mesh on my trail runners I'm pretty sure sand would have entered my shoes gaiters or not.

After a few minor bouts with insects and poison in the beginning I generally stop itching for the rest of the summer, but some people are much more allergic.

Needless to say, I don't wear gaiters. I also don't do much cold weather hiking. For very wet and cool, or snowy wintery, conditions I would definitely consider WP/B gaiters to keep the feet warmer. However I've also just used neoprene socks as an insulated VBL and that seems to work very well, even when hiking through frigid creeks and plan on continuing the neoprene usage instead of the fuss of gaiters (also means I don't have to make/buy gaiters, so maybe laziness is trumping usefulness).

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools