Topic

Buying Tyvex

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Buying Tyvex

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

So the Tyvex backpack idea is stuck in my head and I would like to try it out. For those of you who have used Tyvex can you buy it in small sections or do you have to buy it in large quantities? I'm sure my wife wouldn't like to see a huge roll of Tyvex sitting in our apartment :)

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Yes. Go by a build site or check Craigslist.

Tyvek.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

HANG-EM-HIGH ONLINE STORE for kite supplies. No printing on either side!

http://ecom.citystar.com/hang-em-high/ushop/index.cgi?ID=VYJAZN&task=show&cat=PAPER

They have the 36" wide #10 white "stiff" and the 60" wide #14 white "soft" stuff.

Party On,

Newton

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Would I want the stiff or soft material for a pack? Is the soft similar to the clothing and the stiff like the house wrap?

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Tyvex House wrap

So I went across the street to where there is some construction and asked the first guy I saw about letting me have so tyvex for a hiking project. At first I thought he was going to laugh but then he handed me this huge roll!!

I love it. Now it's time to find a template for a backpack, bivy, tarp and who knows what all!!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I see some good potential for a couple fur hats too :)

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I believe your cats are asking for their own bivies.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Check out my Score!

The choice was made for you. ;-)

It is my understanding the house wrap that you "scored" is the stiff stuff.

For a MYOG pack I would have reccommended the stiff stuff for the same reasons that I moved away from silnylon and spinnaker fabric in my packs. I recently made the move to the XPAC fabric and 500 Cordura because of its inherent "body" or stiffness if you will.

I like the way the stiffer fabric stands up and holds the top of the pack open while I insert a loosely rolled sleeping pad as a frame.

FWIW even the stiff Tyvek house wrap will soften with use.

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools