Topic

Tahoe Rim Trail Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Tahoe Rim Trail Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Looking for a gentler, 30 mile ish section of the TRT to do with a 9 and 8 year old. Town at start and I know I'll need a shuttle back. Have the book on the trail coming, and I have TOPO. Can someone let me know the closest section near to a town and having some fishing / swimming along it? Obliged. (Oh, will be in August, 3rd week). Looking for about 6-8 miles a day. Thanks!

Ed

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ed,

Without pulling my maps, you might want to consider the Desolation Wilderness area, ending at Tahoe City.

Lots of water in Desolation with some amazing views.

Eastern side of the lake is pretty dry and would require hauling water for some dry camping for the daily mileage you are looking at.

Off the top of my head, the "6 o'clock" position of the TRT to Tahoe City would be the only sections that you would probably look at.

Anything after Tahoe City is going to be gaining elevation and getting drier as you head to the "1 o'clock" position of the TRT, not to mention steep.

Should be an amazing trip for all of you….the children are lucky that you are willing to get them out there to experience it.

Trails are well graded….did the TRT back in 2009, amazing place.

Hope this helps.

-Tony

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

I read your trip report from that trip and I will look into those options. Sounds good! I'm excited. Thanks for your suggestions and taking the time.

Ed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools