Topic

chicken jerky

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Somewhere I've seen that one is supposed to cook chicken or turkey before drying it for jerky, to eliminate the risk of Salmonella. However, all the recipes I can find in my books and on the web just have one drying it in the oven at 145F, (which my oven won't go down to) or in a dehydrator without cooking it first. A

Any thoughts? I have a dehydrator that someone gave me for free, it's a Ronco dehydrator with no temperature control. There are recipes for beef jerky in the handbook, however.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I think it would be wise to cook your chicken or turkey first before you put it on the dehydrator.

–B.G.–

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Check this USDA for jerky. They do recommend heating it prior to drying. You might want to put a temperature gage in the dehydrator.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/jerky_and_food_safety/index.asp

I make turkey jerky starting with raw turkey, but I post treat it for about 1/2 hour at 225. No problems yet. I have not made jerky from chicken.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Ditto what Tim says. Have made turkey jerky many times in the dehydrator. Then 15-30 minutes in the oven to post-cook. No problems.

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I use high mountain dry cure flavors all the time on chicken.

The garlic pepper is killer

I just take frozen breast from Costco let them thaw till they are firm then cut length wise into 1/4" strips

Lay flat coat with rub turn over repeat. Seal in ziplock for 24 hours then smoke or dehydrate ( I smoke mine)

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

So, I've made a couple of batches so far, and the taste is ok, but I'm not crazy about the texture. The last batch I did I marinated overnight in coconut aminos, red wine vinegar, dry mustard, garlic powder, lemon juice, parsley flakes, black pepper, put it in the over on trays at 300 F for 30 minutes, then put it in the dehydrator. It came out almost crumbly/crisp. I jokingly call them "meat crackers". Am I drying them too long?

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

You might be drying it too long. I use beef, marinated tofu, or cooked salmon for jerky as I've never liked the texture of poultry jerky… it's just fowl. lol… sorry bad pun.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

ha,ha,ha, you're punny!;-) I'm not supposed to eat beef right now. Salmon jerky sounds good, I just have to convince my boyfriend that I won't be putting up a "cafe open" sign for bears just by having it in my backpack! Never mind that we put everything up into odor proof bags, then in a bear bag or canister.

Tofu jerky—what's the texture like? that sounds…..interesting.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Trader Joes used to carry the best salmon jerky – and it was single serving size as well. I miss it!!

On tofu jerky? Buy it made. Not worth messing with at home IMO. Lots of choices though at the natural food stores these days!

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Actually, I rather like it…

¼ cup soy sauce
    3/8 cup water
    2 T liquid smoke
    1 T onion powder or some grated fresh onion
    1 t garlic powder or 1 clove crushed garlic
    ½ t ground black pepper
    Pinch cayenne pepper
    1 T honey
    1 lb. firm or extra-firm tofu

Cut and drain the tofu. Cut 1 lb. cube in half, then slice it into strips on its short side. Strips should be about 4-5 mm in thickness. They may look big but they’ll shrink to about ½ their size.

Mix all the marinade ingredients together well. Put the tofu in a single layer in a shallow baking pan or cookie sheet and pour the marinade over it. Let soak for several hours or overnight.

Drain excess liquid (may be reused) and dry tofu in food dehydrator or 200 degree oven. This will take 4 to 8 hours, depending on weather. Flip the tofu over hourly so it dries evenly. Dry until it is very chewy, but not crispy.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Deborah… that's very similar to my recipe and I really like it too.

I use the same method except that I press the tofu a bit first to get out some of the extra moisture.

1 pound extra-firm tofu
    1/2 cup gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    2 tablespoons red onion, minced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon fresh fine ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon plum sauce or maple syrup
    1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red chilies, to taste

I marinate it overnight and dry for about 8 hours in a food dehydrator…. it may take less time and you want it dry through but chewy and still pliable.

I'll have to try your recipe too… I like to have a few differing flavors.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools