Topic

Thru Hike Training with Trekking Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Thru Hike Training with Trekking Poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

There's a chance I may be thru hiking the Colorado Trail this summer, so a couple weeks ago I began training by hiking moderately steep hills with a weighted pack. I plan on taking the trekking poles with me on the trip, but I haven't trained with them yet.

Is there any reason to bring, or not to bring them when I train? I figured if I didn't bring them then I could work my legs more, thus achieving a better work out.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

I use poles and like them.
    I say take the poles with you while training. If nothing, you'll figure out a rhythm and how you might use them a little different while ascending or descending. You can always lash them to your pack if you feel your legs aren't getting worked hard enough; you'll also get a slightly different work out with those poles, which can be advantageous to the upper body, as well as the knees, hips, and/or back (especially if one of those areas often bothers you while hiking).

tommy d

@vinovampire

I don't know what the trails look like in your area right now, but where I was hiking in the Whites this week, I hit ice, snow, and wet rock. For me, the safety of having trekking poles and micro spikes is critical. I won't be doing much backpacking this summer if I'm injured, ya know?

Also, if I believe in training with what you plan on using. If things change, well, that happens. But, if you intend to take a certain pair of pants, poles, or whatever, use them when you're training.

That's my 2 cents.

Nick E.

@traletrasch

Locale: PNW

finally registered, been a lazy-lurker for months.

Ive had many ankle/knee injuries, just came off an avulsion fracture and began training again. I cant afford to not use poles. even though you may feel as if your training's intensified, it may not be the best thing for your joints- to alternate. hike w/poles, hike w/out…,my 2¢=)

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

My reco.. Have your gear, weight, food etc as close to your planned conditions as possible. Then pick routes that work up to a more difficult day than you will see on any day of your hike. For my PCT hike I am not expecting any day to be in the top 5 days from a difficulty standpoint. That way I can do multiple days without dropping dead

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools