Topic

Waterproofzipper, how to finish the ends?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Waterproofzipper, how to finish the ends?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    edvin mellergård
    BPL Member

@edvin

Locale: Gothenburg, Sweden

Hi,
    I'm making a bivvy for alpineclimbing and I want a zipper in it, I'm gonna buy 6mm YKK Aquaguard by the meter but the place that sells it says it can't be used for separating zippers since no clamps are delivered with it. I call bullsh*t on that one and think it would be pretty simple to simply sew a piece of edgebinding or something around the end. The slider is selflocking anyway so I don't need a real finish.

Any reason why this wouldn't work? Or is there a better solution out there?

Ginger Allman

@gindavall

Locale: Ozarks

The little end on a separating zipper does more than just finish off the end. It is necessary because it fits in with the slider in just the right way so that the teeth line up properly so that they'll zip up.

If you don't need a separating zipper, then you're correct. You can finish off the ends any way you want.

edvin mellergård
    BPL Member

@edvin

Locale: Gothenburg, Sweden

Great to hear!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

To finish an end (to keep the zipper pull from coming off) you can just do about 20 turns of regular thread with a needle, by hand. Or heavier thread. Do enough stitches until the zipper pull won't go by it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools