Topic

Bonding Cuben with Aquasure or Liquisole?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bonding Cuben with Aquasure or Liquisole?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    edvin mellergård
    BPL Member

@edvin

Locale: Gothenburg, Sweden

Hi! I'm having trobule sourcing any of the "normal" cubenglues here in Sweden, I bought some tape from extremetextil but it's hard to get the corners and other small details right with it. The good thing however is that it's fast to work with.

anyway, I wonder if anyone ever tried using Liquisole or Aquasure to bond cuben with? From the online description is sounds like it's quite similar to some of the "normal" glues.

edvin mellergård
    BPL Member

@edvin

Ok, innitial very non-scientific testing shows that it's much stronger than the tape I got so I'm gonna proceed with making a proper clamp and do some more testing. But it would be nice to hear if anybody else have tried these glues before.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Never used either, but Aquasure is a McNett product who also makes Seam Grip, Aquaseal, etc which work well on cuben. I wouldn't be afraid to try it personally. I would just continue testing on small pieces before taking the plunge on a larger project. Maybe someone else will chime in that has used it.

Ryan

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

To bond Cuben I was looking for Aquaseal (or Hysol) in Europe and couldn't find it anywhere. In the end I contacted McNett USA and asked where I could find a dealer in Europe. Their answer (partly):

> "To better serve our European market, we ask that you please direct your inquiry to Roy Whitehead, Managing Director at McNett Europe. McNett Europe, Germany, is a division of McNett Corporation and manufacturer and exporter of McNett products to Distributors in 35 European countries." <

After contacting McNett Europe:

> "Aquaseal in Europe is sold under the brand name Aquasure. You may find suppliers by using a search engine i/e Google etc."<

After finding out that Aquaseal was exactly the same as Aquasure, it was easy to find a distributor locally. Since, I've bonded several pieces of Cuben (with this Aquasure) with -seemingly- good results, so far – I haven't done any testing (yet) and haven't been able to take any of the bonded pieces into the field (yet). That's why I'm a bit reluctant to recommend the Aquasure.

edvin mellergård
    BPL Member

@edvin

Nice! Thanks alot for that information! I suspected that was the case since the description was similar and I couldn't find any information about Aquasure on american sites.

I have tried a few samples but haven't been able to pull them apart in sher and in peel the cuben gets pulled apart isntead of the glue so I guess it's game on!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools