Topic

They’re back again: The lightest cathole trowels on the planet ! Titanium, two sizes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals They’re back again: The lightest cathole trowels on the planet ! Titanium, two sizes

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

B.G. – now I see where you're coming from.

Robert's trowels do have a hole in the handle; without measuring mine, I'd say it's about 1/8" or so. The yellow coating on the handle nearly fills the hole and you can barely make it out in the pictures on this page (3), but you can clearly see them on the first page of this thread.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The May 14 photos show holes. The later photos show no holes. It appears as though there was a design change (a "slipstream release"). Of course, the ones with holes would be slightly lighter in weight, which is a plus. Also, you can easily tie to them, which is a plus. So, it seems that the two pluses have been eliminated.

–B.G.–

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Hmmm… the case of the vanishing holes. Mine never had one to begin with. Now I feel like I've missed out on the revolution.

Dave Jenkins
    Spectator

@jinx667

Locale: NC

Mine has a hole that is filled in with the yellow rubber. I could easily poke it out if I need to.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Just to clear up the confusion . . . the very first dozen trowels I made in the Fall of 2010 (without yellow handles) did not have holes. All trowels made in 2011 have yellow handles and holes. The yellow rubbery coating often fills the hole, making it harder to see the hole in a picture. That's why some pictures show holes and some do not (but the holes are there). Those that would like to add a thin cord to their trowel can just poke through the coating. No worries, mate!

Michael Reagan

@michaelreagan

Locale: Southern California

Order sent. It was the yellow handles that sold me. :o)

Michael

Edited to note that I send payment to the wrong address (D'oh!). Fortunately, the other fellow was honest enough to refund the money (Woo-hoo!). I gotta pay more attention…

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Discovered another use for the trowel this weekend. Water was hard to come by, so I had to dig a sump with my "Original" trowel where there was a little trickle of water. The hole filled with water, I scooped it out, filtered it, and wasn't thirsty anymore.

Stargazer

P.S. I hope everybody cleans and sanitizes their trowel after every use. ;-)

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Hey All,

I got my trowel last week and had a chance to put it to some use :)

I badly needed to get my mind off work today so I spent tonight working on a video.

Its kind of a video comparing another trowel, a stake, and this Ti trowel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWNZPUVO81M

I think for where I live, I am going to pick up the larger one and see if I can get any better performance from it.

Also thinking of putting my duck tape around the handle. This would get the duck tape off my hiking GGLT4 hiking pole (less weight there, eh!) and give the trowel a little bit better hand protection.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

OK trowel fans, FYI I will be away from 7/15 through 7/24, so any orders placed after 7/13 and before 7/24 will probably not ship until 7/25 or 7/26 when I'm back home. So if you are in a hurry, just be sure to get your order in by 7/13. Can you dig it?

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

I'm now back from my West Coast swing. Trowel production and shipping are resuming Monday 7/25 (orders placed tonight and tomorrow will ship then; next day shipping as a general rule will continue henceforth) ; )

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Trowels still available. A few BPLers have emailed to ask, so hopefully all uncertainties can now be put to rest. You order, I send a trowel, usually the next day.

Tyler Fisher

@qtrlbrwchs

Locale: northern california

Payment sent for original.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

If your trowel needs a hole, get the gol darn drill out and make a hole. Bpers and such are always altering gear anyway. Thanks for saving me an expensive oz., but it should do a better job than my single purpose aluminum tent stake and look purdier.

Duane

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Let me be perfectly clear. All the trowels I am making now and have made for the last 6 months have a small hole at the end of the handle. This will allow for a thin cord to be attached if the user so desires.

Can you dig it?

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Love your trowel. Need another! PM sent shortly!

Dan Rimar
    Spectator

@tarpon6

Locale: Florida

Took my titanium trowel to the Sangres and it performed beautifully. Cuts through small roots with ease. At .5 oz you don't know it's there..

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

I'll be on the road, on the trail, then on the road for two weeks beginning Friday, August 26. Looking forward to 10 days in the Wind River Range. During this time, you are welcome to place orders, but I won't be checking emails or shipping trowels until I'm back on September 10.
    So . . . orders placed until midnight on Thursday, August 25th, can be expected to ship the next day. Orders between August 26th and September 10th won't ship until September 12th.

September 10, 2011 UPDATE: I'm back from the Winds, so you can order and expect next day shipments again. Can you dig it?

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Have just sent off payment for one big dig! Looking forward to it–very light, and I bet it cuts through tough soil much better than my plastic trowel. Also great when you have to go mano a mano with a grizzly. Well, maybe not.

Jake Willits
    BPL Member

@trailsavvy

Locale: Arkansas Ozarks

Paid for 2 originals on Paypal. Giving one to my buddy in Montana for hosting me next month in the "Bob".

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Q: What's better than a titanium trowel . . . ?

A: Two titanium trowels!

Can you dig it ?

Ismail Faruqi

@ismailfaruqi

payment sent.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

September 10, 2011 UPDATE: I'm back from 10 days backpacking in the Wind River Range, so you can order and expect next day shipments again. Can you dig it?

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Payment sent for a big dig!

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

I can hardly believe it myself, but I think I've now made and sold 200 trowels (I don't have an exact count, but it's plus or minus 5 from 200 at this point). A growing group are BPLers who are either getting two trowels for their initial purchase or are coming back for a second trowel for a spouse or friend. I call them "Double Diggers" . . .

You too can join Team Trowel! Can you dig it?

bryan
    BPL Member

@neeonbrowwn

hi,

first off, thanks for taking the time to fulfill a need not addressed by any of the big gear companies.

could you produce a semi-custom order?

i was hoping for a pointed larger trowel

thank you

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 147 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools